IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Online Web Forum > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Voice out your thoughts here!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Pomelo

ipohmali70 is off the scale
Default Ipoh Swimming Club membership

Hi I am considering a membership in the Ipoh Swimming Club along Jln Gopeng. Anyone has an existing membership.

What are the facilities?

various fees?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 AM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune

I heard they have no vacancies at the present moment. The waiting list is quite long.

Don't know about the fees but I heard very reasonable.

The main attraction is the swimming pool besides having dining , library, squash , suana n table tennis.

Last edited by fortune : 02-03-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Watermelon

lalachai is an unknown quantity at this point

oh , the gym is pretty good as well , it is the best in Ipoh I think .
Now they even have a jacuzzi near the pool in addition to all the other amazing facilities.

7 years ago when I joined, it is around 12k , but then because my parents were members , I got a pretty good discount.

I dont know how much the membership is it now because I rarely go since I am overseas , but each time I go back, there is always a new facelift somewhere in the club

cheers,
lala
Old 02-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Watermelon

Default brief overview of ISC facilities

Anyway , since I grew up there ( I started going frequently since I was 8) , I might as well list out all the facilities. ( I am trying to visually remember , as if I have a photographic memory lol )

1) Gym ( with newest advance machines , complete set of free weights and spacious exercise/stretch areas , air conditioned with lcd tv and good maintenance of equipment ) , Actually it has been renovated like 2 or 3 years ago, It used to be small with a bit of aged equipment)

2) a) Swimming pool. 30 meters, it is a unique length. I have never seen a lap pool which is 30 meters (normally it is 25m or 50m and yards in the US ) but then again , it has groomed so many national swimmers in this pool that sometimes you wonder whether it is the length of the pool that is doing the trick ! nah , i am just joking ,I think it is really the dedicated swim coaches, ( 3 of them to be exact ) The depth of the pool is 3 feet at the shallow end and 6 feet at the deep end .
b) wading pool - perfect for kids to play cause it is around 1.5 feet deep constant across the pool
c) newly built outdoor jacuzzi , probably 10 pple capacity with a nice veranda covering over it . Sort of a balinese feel .

3) Badminton . I think they are four courts but it is popular , so advance booking is needed.

4) Ping Pong , I think they are 2 ping pong tables.

5) Tennis courts. 3 courts ? with an additional practise court ( those that you hit the ball towards the wall and it bounces back ) , When you play tennis, you will be looking over rpgc ( royal perak golf club)

6) Squash courts , I think there are four to five squash courts, with one squash courts that has a full spectator seating .

7) Sauna , two saunas . Used to be only 1 and I think it gets popular so now they have 2 .

8) Library . good library with new addition of books every mth, Members can suggest books to be added to the library.

9)Multi Purpose hall - to hold functions. presentations and ball room dancing lessons

10 ) Bar/Karaoke - a bar that magically transforms into karaoke , every weekend i think.

11) Dining - Fine dining at the second level with a colonial feel, smart casual /formal wear is required. I think this tradition has been passed down since the colonial days. The steak is good ( I love the bombay steak , not sure whether they still have it ) . Also at the base level is open air , same food menu applies . I recommend the wat tan hor. Heard the sifu has been there for almost 30 years and there is a hainanese touch to the cooking . Also good idea to order the ice kacang on a sunny day and sit next to the pool . Kids also love the ice cream corner. ( I was one of them hehehe )

12) Snooker . 2 X snooker table. I think it has the best snooker table in Ipoh. I asked the attendant before and he says it cost around 30 k a table . It is properly maintained because the attendant is very strict I cant even put the chalk on the edge of the table.

13 ) Study room. A nice study room has replaced the previous arcade/games room ( My hang out place last time ) . I think kids are playing too much games these days and now it has turned into a nice - air conditioned study room which is wifi enabled.

14) Jack pot room . If you dont have anything else to do and have lots of money , you could go there and try your luck

15) Pro shop -- A shop for sports equipment . No excuse if you forget to bring your racquet or swimming costumes , you can always get it there. It is opened by former Thomas Cup winner in the 60s? Mr Ng Boon Bee.
You can always ask him for a tips or two

16) Children's playground - If you are busy playing badminton or hitting the jackpot. you can dump your kids there and it will be autopilot. oh , beware of red ants though. but then again, kids being kids will torture the ants... poor little ants...

17) Reflexology path - If you have absolutely nothing to do and not into gambling and feel like torturing yourself . You can go walk on the reflexology path near the tennis practise court. You can also hone your dodging skills ( like president Bush ) , because the tennis ball at the practise court will be flying to you at 50 km/h per hour ( yes, they are beginners )

well, guess thats all I recalled , might be more that I couldnt recall ,oh and did I tell you Michelle Yeoh's mum always hang out there too ? and if you are lucky, you could bump into Michelle Yeoh herself hehehe.

All in all, think it is a good place for family to get together and do some sports. Also good for the kids , rather than spending time in shopping malls and online games, the kids will be preoccupied by sports. ISC has a very condusive envinronment to groom kids into the sports they like and who knows? they might achieve national/international level some day

signing off,
VP sales ISC ( just joking Damn , I should be holding that position )

cheerios,
lala
Old 02-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Durian - The King

Uncle-Cle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Uncle-Cle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachai
oh , the gym is pretty good as well , it is the best in Ipoh I think .
Now they even have a jacuzzi near the pool in addition to all the other amazing facilities.

7 years ago when I joined, it is around 12k , but then because my parents were members , I got a pretty good discount.

I dont know how much the membership is it now because I rarely go since I am overseas , but each time I go back, there is always a new facelift somewhere in the club

cheers,
lala

Did I get you right?

RM$12,000.00 to join a Swimming Club.

It didn't have a golf course!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Watermelon

Yes !

Affirmative Sir ! at RM 12,000.00 without a golf course

cheers,
lala
Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Durian - The King

Uncle-Cle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Uncle-Cle

Quote:
Yes !

cheers,
lala

So expensive, how to afford
Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Honeydew

UncleSam is on a distinguished road

ICCI in Jln Kampar cost RM1.2k with monthly RM100+ fees, but facilities are a bit dated and not well maintained. I was looking to join a club having facilities like swimming pool, gym, sauna, etc..
Old 02-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Pomelo

Quote:
Yes !

cheers,
lala

I believe their facilities are good but if at 12k I'll give it a pass.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Pomelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSam
ICCI in Jln Kampar cost RM1.2k with monthly RM100+ fees, but facilities are a bit dated and not well maintained. I was looking to join a club having facilities like swimming pool, gym, sauna, etc..

They do have a swimming pool, no?