IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > P E T S . . . > Fish
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune
Default M'sian Arowana

Saturday February 4, 2012

Arowana declared world’s top breed by international body

By SIRA HABIBU
sira@thestar.com.my

PETALING JAYA: It's official -- the highly prized Malaysian golden arowana has been declared as the best golden arowana species in the world by an international body.

CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species and Wild Fauna and Flora) had certified the species, which was unique to Malaysia, as the best, Deputy International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir said.

“The Malaysian golden arowana (scleropages formosus) fetches the highest premium compared to other species,” he said yesterday after visiting the Bintong Arowana Farm in Bukit Merah, Perak.

Best in the world: Shopper Woo Suk Pin, 22, from Perak admiring a RM15,000 Sapphire Golden Arowana on display at the Viva Mall in Cheras.

The highly prized Malaysian golden arowana has been declared as the best golden arowana species in the world by an international body. — AZHAR MAHFOF / The Star

The 40ha farm is the world's largest cluster of arowana fish farms.
North Malaysia Arowana Breeders Association secretary Sahibul Anwar Arba'e said the species, also called kelisa emas, could only be found in the wild in Bukit Merah Lake and Sungai Kerian.

“It is not found elsewhere in Malaysia or any other country.

“That is why we are demanding that other exporters from Singapore and Indonesia maintain the name Malaysian golden arowana,” he said, adding that CITES had given export permits to breeders in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia only.

Sahibul, who is also the managing director of Crossback Arowana Bukit Merah, said a young golden arowana, which was about 7cm to 10cm long, could fetch up to RM1,500.

“We can only export golden arowanas that are more than 15cm long, which take between six and seven months to grow to that length,” he said, adding that the export price was between RM2,500 and RM3,000 each.

“During a recent auction in China, our golden arowana fetched RM38,000,” he said, adding it was about 35cm long.

Sahibul said golden arowanas were fertile between the ages of three and 20 years, adding that the fish could live up to 50 years and grow up to a metre long.

He said golden arowana breeding was a lucrative business.
Sahibul added that there were 32 CITES licence holders in Malaysia.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

Saturday February 4, 2012

Fish a good luck charm and symbol of prosperity

By WANI MUTHIAH and EDMUND NGO

PETALING JAYA: Many, including overseas buyers, regard the Malaysian golden arowana as a good luck charm and symbol of prosperity.

The popularity of the breed hit the roof in the Year of the Dragon.
“Since the species is also known as the dragon fish, many want to have it in their houses for luck and prosperity,” said arowana breeder Tang Pek Sin.

She said agents, pet shop owners and breeders from Thailand, Brunei, Singapore and Hong Kong also came to Malaysia to buy the fish for their clients.

Pricey hatchlings: Neoh inspecting fry that was harvested for the day at his farm in Bukit Merah, Perak.

Tang said the fish was prized due to its golden colour and pearl-like tips of its small back fin.

“Some of the top quality Malaysian golden arowanas look like gold bars with their entire bodies, including the head, covered in rich golden scales,” said Tang.

Tang, who has been breeding the golden species for the last six years, has more than 40 adult Malaysian golden arowanas in her farm in Bukit Merah, Semanggol, Perak.

She said clients also bought the fish to improve the feng shui in their homes or places of business.

She said an adult fish would be ready to breed when it was about two to three years old and could produce up to 20 to 40 eggs.

In Taiping, Trillion Gold Arowana Farm Sdn Bhd owner Neoh Choo Sin said the arowanas' golden coloured scales were a sign of luxury and status.

“Since the Year of the Dragon had just begun, we have been seeing a steady increase in demands locally and abroad.

“The Government has also started to encourage more people to breed the arowana,” Neoh said.

Neoh added that the fish was a protected species and its export was controlled under the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES).

Mainly exported to China, Thailand, Japan and Taiwan, Neoh said the fish was resilient but temperamental.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid870629586001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAybGkmck~,F3GR0Q5_ RUi6gx4QbplYHsMIL-n4u_bH&bctid=1403603051001
Old 14-07-2013, 06:22 PM

susie is on a distinguished road
Default Arwana Price

I am interested to sell 20 mas merah, they are about 15months.I also wonder if I can find some professional in Arowana who will be able to look at the fish and give me the real value and also who I can sell it to. I am a novice, I was told by the salesperson that these are more valuable than the malaysian gold.I paid 7,000 per arowana in Mar 2012.The fish look golden in colour with a tinge of red on the fins.I will be grateful to anyone who can give me some honest information.

Last edited by susie : 14-07-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links