IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Development in Perak > Development in Perak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15-02-2011, 05:17 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune
Default New Orchid Garden near Gopeng opened

Tuesday February 15, 2011

Wayside garden for flowering orchid

THE promotion of Malaysia’s unique orchid hybrids will be made easy with the opening of an orchid garden along the Ipoh-Kuala Lumpur trunk road near Gopeng.

The 0.6ha land beside the National Agribusiness Terminal is provided by the Federal Agriculture Marketing Authority (Fama).
It will enable the Ipoh Orchid Society to have a space to hold its activities.

This will include orchid shows to promote new hybrids and for collectors and growers to sell young orchid plants to enthusiasts.

Society secretary Rajah Sreenivasan said the society could not promote the culture of growing the flowers due to hindrances such as not having a permanent space to exhibit them.

“We have to also pay high rental for exhibition space,” he said, adding that in foreign countries orchid shows were more appreciated and people did not mind paying an entrance fee for the shows.

“In Malaysia, there is no entrance fee and people can just walk in to admire the beauty of the flowers including the new hybrids,” he said during the opening of the society’s national-level orchid show in conjunction with the Chinese New Year and Valentine’s Day on Friday.
Perak MCA secretary Datuk Tan Chin Meng who opened the show also introduced a new hybrid by Rajah called the Phalaenopsis Golden Rabbit.
The yellow orchid variety took Rajah two-and-a-half years to create from a seedling.

According to Rajah, Malaysia has 50 orchid varieties while there are 1,500 varieties worldwide.

A variety of orchids were on display at the show held at Tesco Extra
hypermarket carpark.

Orchids are also sold between RM3 and a few hundred ringgit at the show that will be held until today.
Sponsored Links