IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Online Web Forum > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Voice out your thoughts here!

Old 18-06-2010, 10:01 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune
Default About Sybil Kathigasu

IN the 1970s, I used to live along Jalan Sybil Kathigasu in Fair Park, Ipoh, and took no notice of the street's name. But after watching the documentaries: Who is Sybil? and Suatu Ketika: Sybil... Apa Dosaku? on Astro, I have come to know who she was. I realised her endurance and contributions towards her country. Her heroic deeds were chronicled in the television series, but many are unaware of her contributions or have forgotten her.

However, there is a historical gallery dedicated to her at her former clinic at 74, Main Road, Papan.

When Ipoh was bombed in 1941, the Kathigasus drove out of Ipoh and found accommodation in a shophouse in Papan, a small lumber town located off the Ipoh-Batu Gajah Road. It was here that Sybil ran a free clinic dispensing medicine to the locals. She harboured many sick and wounded locals, and fighters of the Malayan People's Anti-Japanese Army.

Sybil also kept a radio, so that she could listen to the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) for news, and pass on information. She endured unimaginable torture under the Japanese soldiers, because she secretly provided medical service and intelligence to the Chinese guerillas.

After the war, she was the only Malayan woman to receive the George Medal for Gallantry, a top civilian honour given by Britain. I hope the Education Ministry will dedicate a chapter in local history textbooks to this heroic woman.

S. SUNDRALINGAM
Ipoh,
Perak

Read more: Include her in our history books http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/1...#ixzz0rDHoT819
Sponsored Links
Old 23-06-2010, 12:30 PM

deepend is on a distinguished road

hey mate, I lived along Jln Sybil Kathigasu too, as a kid ..No. 4 (2nd house) just opposite the shophouses
Old 13-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Coconut

ong3 is on a distinguished road

Here is a related article in Star (about the TV series)

Sunday May 2, 2010

History Revisited

Stories by SHEELA CHANDRAN

The heroism of a sympathiser of Malayan resistance fighters is immortalised in a drama mini-series and a documentary.

THE heroic deeds of Sybil Kathigasu are chronicled in the new instalment of Suatu Ketika, the TV series on Astro that showcases historical legends and personalities who had impacted the nation’s development.

Did you say Sybil who? If you did, you are not alone. A majority of Malaysians are unaware of the contributions of the World War II heroine, who has largely been forgotten or reduced to a footnote in local history books.

All that will change when two TV programmes put the spotlight on Sybil Kathigasu, her sacrifices and sufferings during the Japanese Occupation.

Sybil Kathigasu

Those in the know will remember Sybil as the nurse-midwife who, together with her husband Dr A.C. Kathigasu, risked their lives to secretly provide medical service and intelligence to the resistance fighters of the Malayan People’s Against Japanese Army.
Born in Medan, Indonesia, in 1899, Sybil Daly – the daughter of an Irish planter and an Indian woman – grew up in Malaya. She would later run a clinic from a shoplot in small-town Papan in Perak with her husband.
During the war between 1941 and 1945, the Eurasian Malayan endured unimaginable torture under the hands of Japanese soldiers. Her fingernails were ripped off with pliers and her legs scalded with iron rods. She was also forced to drink large quantities of water before the Kempeitai (Japanese military police) stepped on her bloated stomach. She suffered damage to her spine and skull after a severe beating by thick bamboo sticks.
None perhaps was more torturous than witnessing her six-year-old daughter, Dawn (the younger of two girls), being hung from a tree over a fire.
Sybil also owned the town’s only radio set, nicknamed Josephine. Through it she listened to broadcasts from Britain and the outside world, and told the news to the townsfolk. Because of her “subversive” activities, Sybil and her husband were arrested by the Kempeitai, brutally tortured and detained at the Batu Gajah prison until the war was over.

After Malaya’s liberation from the Japanese in 1945, Sybil was flown to England for medical treatment. In 1948, she became the only Malayan woman to receive the George Medal for Gallantry, a high civilian honour given by Britain’s King George VI.

Several months later, Sybil died aged 49 in Britain. An old wound on the jaw sustained from the kick of a Japanese boot had brought on a fatal bout of septicaemia. Her body was later brought back to be buried at the St Michael’s Church in Ipoh, Perak.

The indomitable Sybil had penned her memoirs in the book No Dram Of Mercy, which was published posthumously (in 1954). In it are accounts of her 1943 imprisonment and the ideals that shaped her life.

Last edited by ong3 : 13-07-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 13-07-2010, 07:47 PM
...my eyes are watching!!
Durian - The King

hop hop is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to hop hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ong3
Here is a related article in Star (about the TV series)

Did you say Sybil who? If you did, you are not alone. A majority of Malaysians are unaware of the contributions of the World War II heroine, who has largely been forgotten or reduced to a footnote in local history books.

I drove to Papan one day, hoping to visit the house where she lived. This being such a small, derelict town, I didn't think it would be too difficult to locate this building. Surprise...surprise!! Even the locals that we asked, didn't know where her house was, or even its approximate location. The only information which we received was, that 'some people made a movie in a building nearby'. A sad state of affairs.