IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Bangsa Malaysia > Bangsa Malaysia
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bangsa Malaysia Berikan pendapat anda bagi mewujudkan BANGSA MALAYSIA!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune
Default New MIC chief next week

Palanivel to become 8th MIC president next week

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk G. Palanivel is set to take over the MIC leadership from Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu next week, making him the eighth president in the party's 64-year history.

Samy Vellu, who has helmed the party for almost 31 years, is set to hand over the reins to Palanivel after the party's Central Working Committee (CWC) meeting on Monday.

"It's either going to be on Monday or at a special handing over ceremony on Tuesday," a party insider told Bernama here Friday.

MIC vice-president and Human Resources Minister Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam would assume the number two post, he said.

Palanivel, 61, the Deputy Minister of Plantation Industries and Commodities, had been informed of the transition, and was preparing himself to take over the number one post, he said.

Samy Vellu is expected to brief Palanivel on party affairs and give him access to all important party documents either on Monday or Tuesday, the party insider said.

Palanivel, a former editor with Bernama, takes over the MIC at a time when the country is preparing for a possible snap poll, which political observers predicted could be early next year.

The former press secretary to Samy Vellu, the Works Minister from 1979 to March 2008, would be faced with the task of remaking the party in time to face the 13th general election.

The MIC was only three years old when Palanivel was born. At that time, the party was helmed by Budh Singh, who led the MIC from 1947-1950, after which the presidency was assumed by K. Ramanathan for less than a year.

The first MIC president was John A. Thivy from 1946-1947. After Ramanathan, the party was helmed by K.L. Devaser who became MIC's fourth president. The fifth and sixth presidents were Tun V.T. Sambanthan and Tan Sri V. Manickavasagam.

The first four presidents had only ruled the MIC for a short period (less than three years) while Sambanthan presided over the party for 18 years (1955-1973).

Manickavasagam served for six years.

The seventh and current president, Samy Vellu, still holds the record as the longest-serving president, exactly 31 years since 1979.

Palanivel will assume the presidency from Samy Vellu upon which the MIC will hold its triennial presidential election either in March or April 2012. - Bernama

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/12/3/nation/20101203123416&sec=nation
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2010, 05:50 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune

Samy Vellu resigns as MIC president
UPDATED @ 03:42:55 PM 06-12-2010
By Asrul Hadi Abdullah Sani
December 06, 2010

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 6 — Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu officially stepped down today as MIC’s president after leading the party for almost 31 years.

In a crowded room at the party’s headquarters, Samy Vellu told reporters that he had earlier submitted his resignation letter effective today.

“The moment I leave this room, I am no longer the president,” he said.

His resignation today paves the way for his deputy Datuk G. Palanivel to take over the MIC leadership as the party seeks to regain support from the Indian community in the 13th general election.

“I don’t think life has ended yet because there are too many things to do. I will do many other things. To me getting out of MIC as the president does not mean that I cannot help the Indian community,” he added.

Samy Vellu (picture) also confirmed that he will remain as an ordinary party member.

“I will help the party to achieve our objective in winning the seats that are given to the Indian community,” he said.

His resignation today paves the way for his deputy Datuk G. Palanivel to take over the MIC leadership as the party seeks to regain support from the Indian community in the 13th general election.

MIC vice-president and Human Resources Minister Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam would assume the number two post.

Samy Vellu said he was confident the party’s new leadership will be able to regain support from the community.

“I feel very happy that I am leaving my job to Palanivel, and Palanivel will leave his job to Subramaniam. I have cleared my head for the last 10 days because I know that the time has come and that there should be a leadership change, and the leadership change should look into the needs that are arising now. Also the political challenges that we face in the country and we need to work very hard to win back all the Indians to Barisan Nasional,” he said.

He said the party must prepare itself before Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak calls for snap elections.

“I think it is slowly happening and we need to expedite the process and then we can be ready for the 13th general election. We don’t have to wait for the announcement but we prepare ourselves and set up our machinery and then we will be ready when the moment comes,” he said.

He was also confident that Palanivel would be able to transform the party since he is a party veteran.

“Within six months, he has the capacity to face it and it is work that has to be done by all of us and not only the president,” he said.

Samy Vellu said he wants to be remembered for bringing education to the Indian community.

“I want to be remembered that when I took over this party, I thought of many things for the community. First of all, I thought that we should concentrate on the educational possibilities that we could give to the Indian community so we formed the MIED (Maju Institute of Educational Development ) and educated about 13,000 graduates in the country. With the third college, we have educated about 43,000 youngsters and from them 13,000 are Chinese and 30,000 are Indians.

“Then we built the university which is helping the Indian, Chinese and the Malay communities. It is a university for all,” he said.

He said he worked hard to make the community understand that there are “opportunities from them to come up in life.”

“If they don’t try then I don’t think that they can do it,” he said.

However, despite his efforts, Samy Vellu admitted that the Indians are still behind compared to the Malays and Chinese.

“The major problem affecting the Indian community is modernisation of their minds. Mind modernisation and thinking of the future. Thinking of educating their children to see that they become better than their parents. Also saving the money that they have and changing their lifestyle like other Malaysians,” he said.

Samy Vellu defended the party’s management of Maika Holdings and blamed it on the country’s poor economic state.

“Maika Holdings didn’t succeed because it started at a time when everything was down. When the whole economic status of the country was going down, that is the time that we started and we struggled because we don’t have any support from anybody. I had support neither from the government or anyone.

“Even though we had hundreds millions, it was not simply to do business unless you had the opportunity to do business. However I am happy because we are the only company that has been able to return money to the people who have contributed the money,” he said.

He also did not deny reports that he will accept a position as an ambassador-at-large offered by the government.

“I will move very fast. In future, I would not use cars but will use airplanes because I will be travelling to other countries,” he said when asked what will be his next move after his resignation.
Sponsored Links