IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > IT - Information Technology > Software
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Q & A on IT Applications!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Durian - The King

forum_admin has disabled reputation
Question How good is MS Windows Vista?

How good is MS Windows Vista? We have problem in instaslling printer driver when it was just launched.

Anyone is using MS Windows Vista? We would be very much appreciated if anyone can share their experience here.

The following is an analysis from cnet.com:

The good: Windows Vista Home Premium does improve some features within Windows XP; fewer system crashes than Windows XP; and Windows Vista offers better built-in support options.

The bad: Windows Vista Home Premium does not put Search on the desktop (it's buried within applications, within the Start Menu); no new software yet written exclusively for Windows Vista; optimized only for the Microsoft Windows ecosystem (for example, RSS feeds from Internet Explorer 7 get preferential treatment); Tablet PC support unnecessary; fax and scan support missing; and there are too many editions of Windows Vista.

The bottom line: Windows Vista Home Premium is essentially warmed-over Windows XP Home Edition. If you're currently happy with Windows XP SP2, we see no compelling reason to upgrade. On the other hand, if you need a new computer right now, Windows Vista Home Premium is stable enough for everyday use.

For more information, read from here.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Not a morning person.
Honeydew

dbx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_admin
How good is MS Windows Vista? We have problem in instaslling printer driver when it was just launched.

I wouldn't buy Vista. I'll ask for a copy of XP Professional instead if I buy a new computer. If I have to buy an Operating System, I'll go and download a copy of Ubuntu 7 and use that instead. Much leaner on the system resources and comes with Open Office.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Strawberry

Babyripp is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Babyripp Send a message via Yahoo to Babyripp

vista is so sloooooooww....
mac will be my next computer
Old 04-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Durian - The King

kanden is off the scale

using vista w my new pc which i bought in april. took me some time to get all the drivers working - had problems w scanner n webcam. but all working fine now.

tried installing Mcafee antivirus ver 2006 n it gave me irrecoverable problems that i had to reinstall vista.
now i dare not install new programs unless it specifically says that it is vista compatible

- from the Dhammapada (Sayings of the Buddha)
Old 30-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Durian - The King

Question Win Vista is too slow!!!

I have tested MS Vista Home on a new Toshiba notebook PC running on Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz CPU.

The unit comes with 512MB RAM. I found the system took a longer time than Win XP to boot.

BBR is right, Win Vista is too slow. I wonder would 1GB RAM be faster? Anyone has any idea?
Old 30-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Honeydew

UncleSam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_admin
I have tested MS Vista Home on a new Toshiba notebook PC running on Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz CPU.

The unit comes with 512MB RAM. I found the system took a longer time than Win XP to boot.

BBR is right, Win Vista is too slow. I wonder would 1GB RAM be faster? Anyone has any idea?

Vista required at least 1gb to work and gamer may need upto 2gb to be sufficient, but it is not too bad now as the RAM price dropped significantly. 1gb DDR2 800Mhz is selling about RM250 only while 533 Mhz is at RM150. Vista use higher resolution icons and graphic which created the WOW effect that draw consumer at the expense of performance. Just another gimmick from M$ to push the market to upgrade and earn licensing fees.
Old 26-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Durian - The King

Lightbulb Expert users say MS Windows Vista is too slow

Expert users say MS Windows Vista is too slow. Read some of the Reviews from Tech World.

Please hold on if you intend to upgrade. Wait for the Service Pack 1 from Microsoft to resolve the performance issue.