IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Performing Arts > All about Music
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All about Music Share your information or discuss any topics on music, whether it is song, classical, rock & etc...

Old 15-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Banana

Adrian Tan is off the scale
It's a shame.

It's really a shame.

There can never be a more hurtful thought to the soul than to realize that music has slowly mutated into a 'money-minded' industry with FIRST priority in mind... that is, to make money.

Personally, it's most enjoyable to see people making beautiful music and seeing them enthusiastically performing the number with their hearts poured out for the purpose of sharing. Music was intentionally a way to spread thoughts, emotions, or even love to the ends of it's influence.

But sadly, the enthusiasts of music has changed.

They might not have lessened, but they certainly changed.

The passion that used to burn the candle of music makers in the past have slowly humbled by a miles fold. Being a music enthusiast myself, I have slowly witnessed mainstream music becoming more and more comersial. An industry that once posed such emotion now portrays other elements than what it's supposed to.... PASSION.

It's utterly rare you see music being shown sheerly for passion. In fact, those whom are of that caliber are put off as burdens and would be so called.. "Clipped. Pbht Pbht Pbht".

Singers that are worthy of mentioning are John Denver, P. Ramlee, Damien Rice, John Mayer, Norah Jones, Bon Jovi and this Hong Kong songwriter who recently died whom i've forgotten the name.

... what the heck, even Marilyn Manson holds a spot for his enthusiasm(though some might prefer a less gothic manner)

These named people are ones that enjoy the music making itself. It wasn't the fortune they were solely after(of course minus the fact they have to put bread on the table), but the enjoyment of making good music. The result?

.. individuals who passionately make music to share with all that enjoy a melody.

It's the PASSION OF MUSIC. You can't sing and perform and call it music. It's just not MUSIC. The concept of music remains forgotten. You hear many stars sing and dance, sell records like God knows what. They tell you "we love doing performing and singing for the people" but do you get that from their music?

The lost of 'music' to me, is of deep concern. Bravo to new artists such as J. Mayer, D. Rice, N. Jones and alike who have at least shown a ray of hope to the music industry.
Sponsored Links
Old 20-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Durian - The King

ipohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Hi, Adrian,

I think it is all right to be money minded because they are professionals. That is they sing & write songs for a living. If they can produce good songs & make more money, that would be an encouragement for them & will motivate them to produce better music.

What I am more concern is the content of the lyric. Are they promoting good social value, morally all right, optimistic or pessimistic towards life & etc?

[ 20.02.2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: ipohan ]
Old 20-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Banana

Adrian Tan is off the scale
Of course it's alright to want to make money.

In fact, they'd die if they don't do that.

But some artists that emerge today are having that in thought as their influence. Let me dictate a thought out to clarify my 'in-betweens':

1 - Musician that makes music, writes, loves playing. Found a way to make it big and share. Make money.

... we see the intention in that statement to be 'music making'

2 - Person that wants to make money. Has talent to make good music. Found a way to make it big. Make money.

... we see in this one that the intention is making money.

That doesn't mean those that intend to make money don't manage to make good music. Moreover, if they couldn't make good music, they'd not make so much money.

But we can see when a musician makes music for the PASSION or the INTAKE.

Of course, the society can neglect that fact so as long as the music sounds enjoyable to their ears.

Maybe it's a personal thing for all I know, but when I see a musician(especially when they're performing) trying to share their melodies... I for one need to see their passion. The drive that makes them want you to close your eyes and shut yourself out from anything but their music.

It's not an eye candy thing.

It's not a super dance and sweat it out performance.

Most true musicians sit down with an instrument and play their music regardless whether you know them or not, what their wearing and other un-musical shit. Just listen. Just listen to my music.

In fact... true musicians don't want you to love them.

They want you to love their music.

I remember a famous musician once said... that he doesn't mind if he doesn't sell as much records as the likes of J Timberlake or has as many press conferences as Michael Jackson.

He wants to know if you've heard his song.

That's music passion.

That's what I mean by passion.

About the whole money thing. It's a big bonus if you're making millions with your music. But I believe some musicians wouldn't mind if they could perform and pour their hearts out with their music without getting paid.

But THAT would be unrealistic.

hahahaha.
Old 21-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Guava

*IPOH*Fella* is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to *IPOH*Fella*
well, money is indeed what keeps people happy and content with their jobs. i mean, every industry, including music is abt money. besides, if you dont sell your records well, you'll get the boot fr your record company and you'll return to normalcy as Nobody.
Old 22-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Pomelo

ipohmali70 is off the scale
Adrian,

Where are you based? What kind of instruments you play/teach?