IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Food Court > Malay or Muslim Cuisine
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Not Matchstick WIth Boobs
Durian - The King

Nur is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Halal Chinese Food

i realised that in Ipoh, there is only 1 halal chinese food available - Laksamana Cheng Ho. the food are great. but after awhile, the taste bud becomes too used to it, and craving for other chinese fare.

Anyone thinking of opening an authentic halal chinese restaurant sans pork n alcohol??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Durian - The King

Location: middle of tropics, south of nort pole, north of south pole
K-Fanz is off the scale

try a vege restaurant near jalan pasir putih
Old 08-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Strawberry

Babyripp is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Babyripp Send a message via Yahoo to Babyripp

there's one along bercham. the place is called caterbest. Sedap! but I'm not sure if it's still open coz the business doesn look good... the location is a bit out

and.. if u wanna try chicken bread yam kee.. it's halal now can get it in jusco infront of the food court. Tried it and love it
Old 08-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Durian - The King

kris is an unknown quantity at this point

That's Yau Kee Curry Chicken Bread, originally from Kampar. There are 2 other branches, lst one at the corner of Jln Pasir Puteh/Leong Boon Swee Rd, another one on Jln Seenivasagam opposite Overseas Restaurant and near Excelsior.

If you consider all the veggie restaurants halal, then there are lots of them in Ipoh. What are the requirements for Chinese restaurants to be halal anyway? Is it just pork-free or there are other requirements to be complied with? Are those seafood restaurants like the one you went to in K Sepatang halal?
Aren't the hotel restaurants halal as well? Palace in Excelsior and Tai Tong in Heritage?

Last edited by kris : 08-05-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:03 PM
The Kung Fu Tupai
Durian - The King

Chinerama is an unknown quantity at this point

Kris, I think it also can't serve alcohol.

Nur? Just a question and pardon my ignorance. Is it OK to eat at a place that doesn't serve pork but serves alcohol? As long as you don't drink alcohol should be alright isn't it? Maybe we can bring our own drinks there so we won't even be using glasses that might have held alcohol.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Not Matchstick WIth Boobs
Durian - The King

Nur is an unknown quantity at this point

alcohol as part of the recipes cannot. but as for drinking, for me i have no problem. but i dun drink la..

aiyo so many question. alright, i am posting as wht average malay makcik n pakcik would look at (of course, me being me as long as no pork served, fine!), the halal-ness would also include the cook (for most malay, must be muslim).. i dunno, my own experience, i never eat in chinese restaurant when i was in klang, due to my own parent n family..come to think of it, we rarely go out.. :P

only in ipoh i first taste chinese food cooked by chinese.. yummm yummm

Old 08-05-2006, 06:34 PM
The Kung Fu Tupai
Durian - The King

Chinerama is an unknown quantity at this point

Then, I think 1919 serves pretty good food. Almost Chinese
Old 08-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Durian - The King

kris is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the halal-ness would also include the cook (for most malay, must be muslim)..

Are you sure about this Nur???
If you go by this requirement, then all the halal places become not halal anymore. Where to find Chinese Muslim cooks?
Old 08-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Strawberry

Babyripp is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Babyripp Send a message via Yahoo to Babyripp

what is halal food and what's not

If I were to describe the whole thing.. it'll be lengthy.. so I'd try my best to sum up.. and as usual if anything's unclear, do ask for clarification

almost anything is halal as long as the food is not harmful to life/health. we are not allowed to eat

1. poisonous animal/plant.. e.g. snake, or some known to be poisonous mushrooms..
2. animals that live in land ALSO in water e.g. penyu/turtle, ketam batu

3. animals that have fangs.. like a tiger... erm.. walrus? dogs/cats

4. cannot eat pork/lard/gelatine derived from pork.. or whatever related with pigs

5. dirty food.. i dun mean dropped on the floor dirty.. i'm talking bout fecal matter dirty

6. cows/chicken/goat/unta which are not slaughtered as proposed by Islam - electrocuted/chopping of the neck/death by boiling.. and such (jews slaughter their meat the same way as the muslims so we can safely eat kosher)

those are the ones that i probably can't remember..

anything from sea is good to eat I'm so a happy muslim hehe

regarding alcohol....
In the Quran it clearly states that a muslim shud never have anything to do with alcoholic beverages especially of course to drink it. some muslims wouldn't want to even go near it.. hence avoiding restaurants that serves alcohol altogether. I on the other hand.. I'm not bothered with a few cans of drink in the fridge or on other patrons table coz I know so that I have nothing to do with it.

aaand.. if a restaurant is serving alcohol.. but halal food the restaurant can't be branded as halal becoz it's not 100% halal.

another thing is about brandy/wine/rum/liqour in food... some believe that if the food is cooked >100 degrees that there's nothing wrong with consuming it coz alcohol evaporates after.. aa.. is it 72 degrees.. I forgot.. but yeah.. but liqour in tiramisu.. sorry la as tempting it may be.. cannot eat

and about non-muslims cooking for the muslims..
it's just a matter of how confident u are with the cooking. many muslims are not confident with non-muslim's cooking because some non-muslims only know that 'halal' means 'no pork'. So many are dubious whether or not the food are properly prepared. in our religion it's best to avoid eating food that ur not sure whether it's halal or not. So.. since halal food is almost everywhere in malaysia.. that's why muslims just not interested to go eat at non-muslim's places

do ask if still puzzled.. I'd be happy to elaborate

Last edited by Babyripp : 08-05-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Durian - The King

KHS_Ipoh is off the scale

Nur,
Try Yum Yum Restaurant. Mostly nyonya type cooking but there are chinese dishes, too. I think it's halal. My favourite there... assam bawah fish. Oops.... I mean ikan bawal.

Say TAK NAK to Barang Naik govt.

TIME WILL TELL!!!
Sponsored Links