IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Food Court > Malay or Muslim Cuisine
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Durian - The King

kanden is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
That's Yau Kee Curry Chicken Bread, originally from Kampar. There are 2 other branches, lst one at the corner of Jln Pasir Puteh/Leong Boon Swee Rd, another one on Jln Seenivasagam opposite Overseas Restaurant and near Excelsior.

If you consider all the veggie restaurants halal, then there are lots of them in Ipoh. What are the requirements for Chinese restaurants to be halal anyway? Is it just pork-free or there are other requirements to be complied with? Are those seafood restaurants like the one you went to in K Sepatang halal?
Aren't the hotel restaurants halal as well? Palace in Excelsior and Tai Tong in Heritage?

there r 2 curry chicken breads now w abt the same name:

the real Mccoy is "Yau Kee"
the "fake" one "Sun Yau Kee" which has a kiosk at Jusco

Never tried the "Sun Yau Kee" cos i din find the real Mccoy that good either. A lot of hype for the packaging - that's abt it. I'd rather go somewhere else for a proper curry chicken

- from the Dhammapada (Sayings of the Buddha)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Strawberry

Babyripp is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Babyripp Send a message via Yahoo to Babyripp

ait... the one in jusco fake one aa? ooo.. now i know.. but i tried it the other day.. it was good

also.. informer told me that sun yau kee cater to halal but yau kee doesn

and anybody went to assam house before? the one in greentown business centre? I love their dishes chicken kapitan, bamboo prawn.. yummalicious

Last edited by Babyripp : 09-05-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Not Matchstick WIth Boobs
Durian - The King

Nur is an unknown quantity at this point

Kris, my apology.. maybe i put it wrongly..try this... its a general perception among typical malay that to be on the safe side, the cook must be muslim. as it is, i dont want to bring them to a place where they're not comfortable with, cant really blame them becos they grew up with that perception.

i am starting this thread with my own mother and also makcik/pakcik in mind, whom i love to take out for dinner and try out dishes. as much as i loath to admit, the perception (or mis-perception??) is high among typical malay that we cannot go eat in chinese restaurant for fear of non-halal food. like i said, for me only in ipoh i get my first exposure in halal chinese cooking.

hmm passed by yum yum restaurant few times, maybe next time i pass by i might step into it n try it out..

Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Durian - The King

kris is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem Nur, I know there are Muslims who shy away from all the Chinese makan places cos they don't want to take chances. The utensils, crockery or cultery could be used to handle non-halal food,which is not acceptable to them. On the other hand, there are also Muslims who like to take 'char siew pau'. Macam macam pun ada.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Strawberry

Babyripp is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Babyripp Send a message via Yahoo to Babyripp

i know siew pau but what's char siew pau?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:01 AM
The Kung Fu Tupai
Durian - The King

Chinerama is an unknown quantity at this point

Siew pau is any sort of baked buns and char siew pau is generally referred to grilled pork buns.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Papaya

Swiss Cottage is on a distinguished road

I have in my time worked in French Restaurants. Most of their main sauces require alcohol, mainly red wine in their jus for brown meat sauces, white wine or pernod in their fish and fish/seafood sauces, brandy in their Lobster Americaine' and sometimes in their Thermidor sauces. Desserts and pastry also feature alcohol based flavourings, and fruits in desserts are laced with spirits. Commercial puff pastry a nd shortcrust pastry use lard in it's compositions, and the meat are mainly not halal butchered. Couldn't expect much Muslim clientale then, eh?
I have also worked with quite a number of North African Muslims, who tend to shy away from eating at these establishments, and resigned to cooking at home the Berchamel and Mornay ( flour, milk and cheese ) sauces with their baked vegetables, and grill their halal bought meat. Sauces are mainly tomato and vegetable based derivatives, cream or otherwise. Grilled fish is common, with lemon. And they eat their food with lashings of harissa (chilli paste) or tobasco sauce ! Not to forget the favourite french barguette bread, and couscous.
Think Western food would have to be modern in their approach to come up with a menu using only halal ingredients. My 2 penny's worth....
Old 23-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Guava

sampoy is on a distinguished road

nice info..i do luv to try chinese food but seem cannot get the good nice Halal restaurant...
will try to get it....

Old 23-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Watermelon

Gemukkk is an unknown quantity at this point

caterbest is still around. me & geng still go there on occassions. we also go to assam house once in a while..

yum-yum is pork-free, isnt it?

off-topic:
how about indian food? i recommend the banana leaf restaurant near the stadium and samy's at chemor..
Old 24-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Not Matchstick WIth Boobs
Durian - The King

Nur is an unknown quantity at this point

what abt ananda bahwan's restaurant near old town? usual haunt for me & suzy for lunch

Sponsored Links