IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Online Web Forum > City Focus
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

City Focus If you feel strongly about certain issues concerning the state of PERAK and IPOH, let your thoughts be known!

Old 27-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Oldtimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

Please post your own perceptions for the following Chineses groups under male and female:
1. Malaysian Chinese
2. Singaporean Chinese
3. Hong Kong Chinese
4. Taiwanese Chinese
5. Mainland Chinese
6. American Chinese
Q. What do you think of them?
Q. Why?
Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 27-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Durian - The King

KHS_Ipoh is off the scale
Wah... can generalise, ar? If yes, then, there's a common statement for them all Chinese, i.e.

Common fact: Almost all of them wants more and more money to last at least 3 generations.

Here's my dua kupang worth, as I see it...

1. Malaysian Chinese
More hardworking as they are considered 2nd class citizen. Willing to buy fertizer at half price from the padi farmers that got theirs FREE, anyway. Many capable ones are leaving the country for good to get a better education and livestyle.
Willing to con anybody and everybody for money. Eats 6 meals a day - breakfast, morning break, lunch, afternoon break, dinner and supper.
2. Singaporean Chinese
Rat race to get more money is killing their family and love life. Too regimented by their Govt that they let loose, when in M'sia.

3. Hong Kong Chinese
Eats anything and everything. Survivors and willing to take on 2 jobs at the same time and share a bed with another to save cost. Darn proud and stubborn, especially those in retail business.

4. Taiwanese Chinese
Conmen!!! Most of them come to M'sia to set up factories and when the going gets tough, they pack up and leave everyone stranded. But, they are creative and will go for cost effective manufacturing.

5. Mainland Chinese
Slowly but surely, they are being westernised but I think it's going at the speed of light and may not augur well with some. Surely, they are resourceful but have yet to come to terms in giving out quality products, ala international standards.

6. American Chinese

Oldtimer, you share with us, lar.

Say TAK NAK to Barang Naik govt.

TIME WILL TELL!!!
Old 27-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Starfruit

ipohfella is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to ipohfella
well,u forgot to mention that chinese are one of the toughest and hardiest people thru out history. They went to America before Westerners did and they survived majopr earthquakes,floods and wars. They are also one of the most successful people to rise up from ashes.

Chinese people are found all over the world.
Old 27-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Cool

King,
Here's my two bits:
American Chinese is a general term that covers Chinese immigrants from all over the world, including those countries in my earlier post. They all have ONE common goal, that is to give their children a chance to do better than themselves. That being said, we need to realize that there are significant differences between the so called 1st generation immigrants vs the 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation immigrants. Even among the 1st generation immigrants, there are those, who are well educated and those that are not. The less educated group tends to be extremely thrifty and willing to work long hours, 7 days a week to get ahead. They sacrifice their family and love life tremendously.
Normally, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations tend to be Americanized and much more open minded to encourage their children to seek their futures in any trade or profession. As a result, you are seeing the rise in number of success stories beyond just academic achievements. They are emerging in Sports, Music, Arts, Entertainment and Mass Media.
I have a personal story to share with all of you. Few years back, I had a guest speaker at our club luncheon for honoring top local high school graduates. He happened to be a 2nd generation Japanese. His parents were farmers in the neighboring town. Since he excelled in school, his parents wanted him to be a medical doctor. Being the only son and a very obedient one at that, he obliged. After getting his medical degree, he gave that Certificate to his parents and smilingly told them that he had honored their wishes and did not let them down. However, his love had always been in Law, so he worked to support himself again for 5 more years to get his law degree. After graduation, he worked 2 years in a private law firm, then took on a job as an Ass't Prosecuting Attorney for the County. Within 8 years, he was finally appointed as a Federal Judge in the city. He wasted 8 years of University just to fulfill his parents' wishes. His advice to us at that luncheon was "Never coerce or force your children to pursue a career that you want them to be in. Leave that option for them to choose. Afterall, it's their lives and they had to be happy with their career choices and futures."
That is why, I always share this real story with others. Don't make that same mistake when you become parents. As loving parents, we just need to encourage and direct them when needed. They could find their own talent with your understanding and support!
Oldtimer
Old 27-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Durian - The King

Also, the Chinese first landed on Tioman island before coming into Malacca for trade. Due to having to rewrite the M'sian history, the authorities decide to keep this fact from the public. How do I know?
Go and check out with the residents in Tioman now. Time and again, they will dig out some porcelain and artifact as the early chinese bury it to protect it from pirates. About 15 years ago, the residents were clearing a piece of land to make a football field and they found loads of pristine condition porcelain plates, bowls, etc.
Till today, there are porcelain hunters there, armed with a 6-8 feet long iron wire. Can't reveal too much as I may be into this during my retirement, just for the fun of it.

TIME WILL TELL!!!
Old 27-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Durian - The King

Wow!!! Great true story. Thanks for sharing, Oldtimer!!!

I try not to influence my girls on their choice of career and education. I let them choose National or Chinese type School. For uni, I had to turn the eldest down as I can't afford the medical school fees and she opted for pharmacy. The younger one was wishy washy and couldn't decide. Thus, with her result, she had only 1 choice - Electronic Engineering.

I guess above is a repeat as Oldtimer knows about it, liao. [img]smile.gif[/img]

TIME WILL TELL!!!
Old 27-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Duku Langsat

@ B3nG is off the scale
Send a message via MSN to @ B3nG Send a message via Yahoo to @ B3nG
the uniqueness of chinese:

they fight each other, kill each other in gansterism, (those "hak sey woi")... so called frenships....brotherhood, all these introduce brutally act within the chinese.... unity is not really good in the first place....

the uniqueness of chinese...when other ppl interfere their fight ah.... the chinese let their business aside...gather up... wallup the interferer first then continue fighting.... chinese tradiotions.... now still got such phenomenon.....hahahahha
Old 28-05-2004, 01:25 AM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Cool

(Continued)
From the 2nd generation on, the differences among the Chinese immigrants have narrowed. Majority of them have college degrees and they value their family and love life. They are very involved with their children's during and after school activities. They still work very hard, but they play hard, too. They are becoming main stream. They enjoy the sports and outdoor activities, take vacations and eat out more. However, they lack far behind the Japanese Americans in the political involvements. There are far fewer Chinese lawyers and politicians. Hopefully, that will change with the 4th generation.
Old 28-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Duku Langsat

@ B3nG is off the scale
Send a message via MSN to @ B3nG Send a message via Yahoo to @ B3nG
Quote:
Originally posted by Oldtimer:
(Continued)
From the 2nd generation on, the differences among the Chinese immigrants have narrowed. Majority of them have college degrees and they value their family and love life. They are very involved with their children's during and after school activities. They still work very hard, but they play hard, too. They are becoming main stream. They enjoy the sports and outdoor activities, take vacations and eat out more. However, they lack far behind the Japanese Americans in the political involvements. There are far fewer Chinese lawyers and politicians. Hopefully, that will change with the 4th generation.
donno? chinese sayings "hou jai ng dong ping" (filial sons never joins the army) and for those lawyers "sang jai mou si fat" (born a child without bottom.... well this misbelief has been passed down through generations...

i can see there's quite a number of young law gradutates over ipoh... just that not that experienced to pop their names on the news
Old 30-05-2004, 04:40 AM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Cool

Beng,
That's just the old school of thought. Nowadays, if we truly want to have a say in the government's policies that affect our daily life, we have to be more involved besides just casting our votes at election. As a matter of fact, after my daughter received her BS in Biology, her original intent was to pursue her graduate studies in Gerontology. Instead, she attended the Graduate School of Public Policies with emphasis in Aging and I commended her for that. Afterall, we really need more bright young men/women in those roles. Otherwise, the society will suffer in the end.
Oldtimer