IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > World Events > Politics
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Durian - The King

ipohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up From Gantang Hill to mountain

Another excellent commentary from Wong Chin Huat.

By Wong Chin Huat

IT is furthest from the truth to declare that the results of the triple by-elections on 7 April 2009 are about the status quo being maintained. Such an analysis, which focuses only on the number of seats each political party has, would fail to see the forest for the trees.

What has or will be changed because of 7 April, at least in Bukit Gantang, is the dynamics in party competition. The two contending parties, Umno and PAS, and their respective coalitions, the Barisan Nasional (BN) and Pakatan Rakyat (PR), are now officially in a new ball game.

The resounding victory of the Pakatan Rakyat's Perak Menteri Besar (MB) Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin over his Umno opponent, Ismail Saffian, with an even greater margin than in 2008 is a clear verdict on the Perak coup.

The triumphant Nizar giving two thumbs up to journalists at the vote-tallying centre on 7 April

The majority of voters in the Bukit Gantang parliamentary constituency have made it clear that they do not condone a coup or mutiny. So, unless coup plotters can avoid or abolish elections forever, they will be punished once fresh polls are held.

Political parties should not expect the people to accept the fait accompli of a palace coup or emergency rule and then reward a party with an electoral landslide. This is 2009, not 1969.

The message from Bukit Gantang and Bukit Selambau should therefore deter future coups, not only in Perak but in other states and at the federal level.

1Malays
The Bukit Gantang result is also a verdict on new Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, not over the Mongolian woman whose name shall not be mentioned, but over his "1Malaysia" reform hype. "1Malaysia", incidentally, is reminiscent of the DAP's slogan "Malaysians First".

The key to any genuine reform by Umno is not about treating non-Malay Malaysians and non-Muslims better. Umno must do that at any rate, or it will be buried by the non-Malay Malaysians. Indeed, appealing to the constituency that punishes you is the given in the perverted logic of Malaysian politics. Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad knew that after 1990. He launched "Vision 2020" to win back the minority votes. Najib himself may announce the end of the New Economic Policy towards achieving the same end.

No, the one reform Umno really needs is to embrace democracy. It needs to accept that it is not the default party in the government by virtue of being the sole representative of the Malay Malaysians.

More
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Durian - The King

ipohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Best comment from visitors

Mohd Azmel Mohd Noor Posted: 9 Apr 09 : 12.39PM
at Nutgraph

As we all can see, the "rakyat" has spoken again on 7 April. The leaders have to really wake up from their slumber. Personally, I think we Malaysians are more educated and aware of our surrounding.

I'm a Malay [Malaysian] and a Muslim but I despise any means to political racism. We are living in a new era where people cannot be divided into race or religion. World without boudaries applies to all not only to information but to the way we conduct our lives. Leaders have to have an open mind to accept the realities.

They cannot forever live in the past where issues like Malay supremacy or "derhaka" were very relevant. Sadly, in the recent Umno assembly, these issues were played to such an extent, I thought I was living in the 50's or 60's.

How can we depend on them to lead us Malaysians? How are we supposed to trust them when they openly, without fear or guilt, cried "Umno supremacy"? I can't see any indication that these people want to change. Sometimes I think out aloud, what will happen to Malaysia if these brags were to lead our country?

Now we need to see past all these and create a new way of seeing things. Any policies that are being drawn up need to cater to all races and religion, not only confined to certain sectors or parties. Democracy is all about wisdom. Malaysians need to equip themselves with knowledge and info to really participate in democracy. Without these, democracy will turn to "demo crazy!"
Old 11-04-2009, 06:05 AM
...my eyes are watching!!
Durian - The King

hop hop is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to hop hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipohan
Mohd Azmel Mohd Noor Posted: 9 Apr 09 : 12.39PM
at Nutgraph

They cannot forever live in the past where issues like Malay supremacy or "derhaka" were very relevant. Sadly, in the recent Umno assembly, these issues were played to such an extent, I thought I was living in the 50's or 60's.

She is wrong. The 50's and 60's were actually very peaceful days, apart from the blotched of the May 13 riots which were fanned by some minority extremist groups, and more confined to K.L. than other states. The Prime Ministers of Malaysia then, Tungku Abdul Rahman and Tun Abdul Razak, weren't racist. English educated and decent, they were good leaders. The ordinary Malays just wanted to get on with their lives and care little about politics, unlike some of them nowadays, who not only want to hoard ringgits but also 'demand' a share of administrative power by whatever means.

I applaud those ordinary Malays who dare to be different, and speak out like Mohd Azmel Mohd Noor above.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 AM
We must prevail.....
Durian - The King

Ipohite39 is off the scale

In the 80s and 90s, we didn't have characters like RPK and Zaid Ibrahim shining out in the open like now. We should encourage the younger generation of fair-minded politicians to come forward and do their part in forging a Greater Malaysia.

I'm sure Gerakan is somewhat happy with its current president coming up into the cabinet like his unforgettable predecessor.