IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > World Events > Politics
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30-12-2008, 04:40 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune
Default BM can be a global winner

Bahasa Melayu can be turned into a global winner
Saad Hashim | Dec 26, 08 10:38am
http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/95461

I reckon Christmas time is a good time to nail it into the heads of those Malaysians who are either ambivalent or outright opposed to Bahasa Melayu becoming the language of knowledge, the language of commerce and the medium to bring about some semblance of Bangsa Malaysia.

This may look like a very unlikely analogy, but you see, Santa Claus and his reindeers do not even exist. Itís a complete myth from the pagan era and yet just look at what had happened since Santa and his stocking came into the lives of every child of the world.

At Tesco Ampang (presumably at all mega-stores) I saw many Muslim children flock around to the Santa at the entrance (a huge Indian guy inside) to get their balloons. This is also the time all Muslim workers at fast food joints and American coffee shops are made to wear the Santa hats.

I am sure many of you will notice that the way Christmas and New Year are celebrated in Malaysia, it looks as if Christianity is the biggest religion in Malaysia. I am sure the commercial turnover at Christmas is second only to the Chinese New Year.

What I am trying to say is that if given the added value, anything in this world can be turned into a global winner. That is what happened to Santa Claus and the English language. Narrow minded or perhaps anti-Bahasa Malaysians may think that English is the only language of science and technology but this is not true at all because scientists and mathematicians in China, Korea, Japan, Italy, Indonesia etc do not talk to each other about science in English but in their own languages.

On the other hand, all the former British and French colonies in Africa, have long adopted English and French as their lingua franca (to the detriment of their mother tongues), yet it got them no where.

What it means is that at the international stage, scientists will perhaps discuss in English but the ordinary people in any country who are mainly concerned with their daily humdrum lives should not create suspicion and embarrassment speaking in different languages (like we do now).

Thus why canít Bahasa Malaysia be given the added value as the language of the leisure industry, the manufacturing sector and the socio-economic sector including and and mathematics? Those who are ardent supporters of English as Malaysiaís lingua franca are either very colonial in their thinking, or because English has given them a very comfortable life and they do not know any other way.

If they say Bahasa Melayu is ill-equipped to become Malaysiaís national language or as the language of science and commerce, they are obviously unaware that in the early days of the US, English, too, was a minority language and German was almost adopted as the language of the new country like Quebec choosing French or Louisiana opting for the French judicial system.

As we say good-bye to 2008 which had brought some changes in our political and democratic landscapes, the education system has apparently entered an era of organised chaos, thanks to Dr Mahathir Mohamad who had dictatorially ordered the switch to English for the teaching of Science and Mathematics which then wreaked havoc on the communication landscape of Malaysians.

While the problem remains unresolved, Santa Claus in all our mega-stores howling: Ho! Ho! Ho!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Uncle show you goldfish..
Mangosteen - The Queen

seantang is on a distinguished road

So much to write against the basis of the arguments in this article, but too small a keyboard on my PDA. Will revisit when I'm back on my laptop.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:41 PM
...my eyes are watching!!
Durian - The King

hop hop is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to hop hop

A quarter of mankind doesn't think so, and the rest of the caucasian world is doing very well in their chosen language ie, English, German, French, Spanish, etc.

Who? Where? What is Bahasa Malaysia?!!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Durian - The King

kanden is off the scale

this guy talk nonsense la.

the 2 countries which use the Malay language cannot even standardise the Malay vocabulary, grammar, etc between them. how to propagate the language beyond the boundaries of their own countries?

not only that, the authorities in charge of language development in Msia (Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka) cannot even make up their mind about the language within our country. every now then the "Bahasa Malaysia" undergoes some restructuring ... from B Msia becomes B Melayu ... from "standard" pronunciation to "Bahasa Baku" pronunciation n back ... oh my. it's all a mess. even the local Malays dun quite know their own language cos of it. that's y there's manglish speak la.

- from the Dhammapada (Sayings of the Buddha)
Old 02-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Honeydew

UncleSam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanden
this guy talk nonsense la.

the 2 countries which use the Malay language cannot even standardise the Malay vocabulary, grammar, etc between them. how to propagate the language beyond the boundaries of their own countries?

not only that, the authorities in charge of language development in Msia (Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka) cannot even make up their mind about the language within our country. every now then the "Bahasa Malaysia" undergoes some restructuring ... from B Msia becomes B Melayu ... from "standard" pronunciation to "Bahasa Baku" pronunciation n back ... oh my. it's all a mess. even the local Malays dun quite know their own language cos of it. that's y there's manglish speak la.

During the Bahasa Baku period, it sounds so much like Indon and some of the words that no one know how to pronounce accurately. This is what they good at, throw lots of smoke to confuse everyone else to make them look smarter.
Sponsored Links