IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Bangsa Malaysia > Bangsa Malaysia
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bangsa Malaysia Berikan pendapat anda bagi mewujudkan BANGSA MALAYSIA!

Old 01-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Durian - The King

ipohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up How we can all start to reclaim Malaysia

by Karina Bahrin

OPINION: I have been wondering for a while now why some Malays are so inse*cure about their religion that they see the threat of anti-Islamism in everything from glimpses of churches to bottled water.

So threatened are they by anything deemed un-Islamic, I am beginning to think that perhaps they are reluctant Mus*lims. Just as some homophobes are closet homosexuals, perhaps these folk are driven by a secret fear of being tempted by the Dark Side.

Even PAS is starting to look liberal in comparison. Some PAS leaders declared that the fatwa against SIS is a farce – and this is the same party that wants hudud to be implemented.

The moderate, urban, modern Mus*lims comfort ourselves with the belief that this crescendo of fanatics who seem hell bent on eradicating the presence of non-Muslim elements in our society are but a small fraction of the Malay society. The dangerous xenophobic undercurrent of these extremist groups is lampooned by the moderates. We curse them on Face*book, we leave comments on websites. But we do little else to push back this slowly rising tide.

The government we have allowed to stay in power for so long, the one we assumed would be the keeper of the balance, is fast emerging to be a fang-less sabre tooth incapable of controlling these forces. If they cannot stop the madness, it will continue. And for those of us who brush it aside as the harmless behaviour of lunatics, history bears enough witness to how extremist sparks have escalated into large-scale warfare.

If you ask me, the real problem is us, the moderate Muslims. For so long now, we have not known the need to fight for our rights to live on our terms, because things have always gone our way. The Islam practised in this country has for decades been of a fairly liberal strain. Yes, the Religious Police have always been there, but not many of us have encoun*tered them. Unless you’re some Malay celebrity, it is unlikely you will be charged with khalwat even if you are unmarried and cohabitating with your other half.

Perhaps, it is time we banded together and made our voices heard alongside our more extreme brothers and sisters. Not in a Facebook kind of way, but through a more cohesive, organised body that will send a clear signal to the government about why our opinion counts.

If you think about it, much of what the government hears today is the outcry from Malays who fundamentally want to edge out those who are not Malay or Muslim. The weapon these groups use is the threat of anti-Islamic forces. I have to say, they’re pretty smart up to a point.

But now, their strategies may be backfiring, to the extent that even the recognised fundamentalist political party, PAS, is calling these extremists too much. There is a schism emerging publicly between these new religious zealots, traditional fundamentalists and the moderate Muslim, with the last two groups increasingly distancing themselves from the first. Despite all our outcries, we fail to realise that these new Islamists are organised, apparently representing large swathes of the Malay population that to the government, equate to thousands of votes.

So can we blame the government for seemingly cutting them slack?

Maybe there needs to be more moder*ate Muslim movements, helmed by influ*encers who can help elevate the dialogue about the role of Islam in Malaysia to a more erudite, economically practical level that will better ensure the stability of our country. I have said this repeatedly – the man we keep forgetting as a possible spokesperson is Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. When the MH 370 debacle oc*curred, he was the only politician, ex or otherwise, who quietly led an inter-faith prayer in KLIA with some fanfare and little backlash. He has always preached a more moderate brand of Islam, and when he was Prime Minister, it got some attention.

Who’s to say the world won’t pay at*tention to him now? After all, we certainly hear a lot from another ex-prime minister whose flip-flop statements confound everyone on a daily basis.

- See more at: http://www.theantdaily.com/Main/How-....XlfBEphT.dpuf
Sponsored Links