IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Bangsa Malaysia > Bangsa Malaysia
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bangsa Malaysia Berikan pendapat anda bagi mewujudkan BANGSA MALAYSIA!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Not a morning person.
Honeydew

dbx is on a distinguished road

I grew up in Malaysia, but studied and worked overseas. Looking back through the years, I have always felt pride at the achievements of Malaysians and of Malaysia. The country is a multicultural diversity that has religious and cultural tolerance not found in many Islamic countries. Furthermore, Malaysia has had administrative and economic stability due to the fact that a single government has existed since Independence. There is some truth that this might not have given rise to as democratic nor as equitable policies as multiple governments could have, but it has provided a stability that has encouraged economic growth and improved the general standard of living of Malaysians compared to many countries in the region.

If all other Islamic countries in the world could follow what Malaysia has done in the past 50 years, having racial unity, respect and tolerance, the world would not have its Iraq War(s) nor would there be the Israel-Palestinian conflict.

I think though, the time has come for Malaysia to recognise that the achievements in the past half-century is a result of the effort of all its peoples - the Malays, the Chinese, the Indians and other minorities. Malaysians all contribute to make the country what it is today - A dynamic, vibrant multicultural whilst tolerant society that is capable of meeting the challenges of this new century.

My belief is that because of the policies of affirmative action for certain socio-economic groups it has led many of the country's younger generation disillusioned and feeling like 2nd class citizens. The recent policies regarding education assistance based on merit has done much to redress this imbalance but more is needed. Like a chain is as strong as its weakest link, a country too is the sum of its people, if a people is weak then the government needs to strengthen it, but not at the expense of other of its peoples. I know I should resent these policies being of Chinese descent, yet I find it hard to. There was initially some compelling reasons for the government to implement its policies but it is time now to disassemble those policies and have more equitable policies based on merit.

I do not reside in Malaysia at the moment, and I doubt I will in the forseeable future. I have other ties that bind me to where I am now. My children are born here and have never known the Malaysia I knew. Malaysia has progressed just like Ipoh has developed beyond the small town atmosphere I grew up in. (Kong Fatt, Ipoh Emporium, Perak Emporium - anyone remember them?) I have many fond memories of the land of my birth, and the friendships that I have had while growing up. My prayer is that the government realise that there is so much untapped potential in all its citizens, that every citizen should be given the same access to education, assistance and encouragement to achieve their potential as Malaysians. When that happens, Malaysians of all races would be proud to call themselves Malaysians.

I still hold a Malaysian passport and refer to myself as a Malaysian but because of the rigmarole one has to go through to get a passport renewed overseas, I am considering taking up alternate citizenship.. but until then Viva La Malasie!

Last edited by dbx : 03-05-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Coconut

ong3 is on a distinguished road

Dear Fellow Malaysian who is leaving the country:

I read your open letter (posted by Chinerama) to Mr. Lim. In many ways i do share your feelings.

In fact, Malaysian professionals emigrating overseas has been a growing trend. According to Oriental Daily today, 60% of them are Chinese, 25% Malay. Over the past 30 years at least 1 million professionals have emigrated.

http://www.orientaldaily.com.my/news_item.asp?NewsID=9412
……去年巫统大会后,由于受到极端言论的影响,就有许多人咨询有关移民的讯息。 ……这些移民的都是人才,而且大多数是华人,……

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/66745
非马来社会精英移民潮又出现

I guess one basic root-cause to the numerous problems in our country is that the race-based ruling party has been far too dominant and too long in power. Changing (or a strong alternative to) the government may be our only hope to see those discriminating policies abolished. No matter how hard Mr. Lim ‘fight’ or ‘champion’, i feel it is almost fruitless or useless, so long as his party continues or contended to be an opposition party.

The irony is, as more people vote with their feet by emigrating, the ruling party get stronger in the general election.

Let's also recognise the fact that, though the Malays are (supposedly) favored by NEP, many of them are now against it. In fact, in the recent Ijok by-election, the % of Chinese who voted against the ruling BN may be even lower than the % of Malays who did so. Is it not another irony? (Especially when we consider the fact that Keadilan advocates NEP be abolished.)
Anyway, wish you v best of luck in your new life. For the sake of the fellow Malaysians who are unable or unwilling to leave, it would be great if you could still come back to cast your vote during next or every general election.

Last edited by ong3 : 05-05-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Oldtimer is an unknown quantity at this point

ong3,
Think that was a letter sent to Mr. Lim posted by Chinerama, but not one that he wrote himself. However I wouldn't be surprised that the thought of emigrating does exist in his mind from time to time. Being single, it is much more easier to stay put, but once having a family with children reaching school age and beyond, more parents are looking at alternatives in terms of their children's future.
I'm curious as to what really drove those Bumis, who left and not returned. Years ago, I even knew of three, who came to US with govt scholarships and decided not to go back.
OT

Last edited by Oldtimer : 04-05-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Not a morning person.
Honeydew

I think a lot of them prefer a society with less religous restrictions.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
The makcik!
Durian - The King

Yugi is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the space around human is more when out of bolehland.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Durian - The King

carimakan is an unknown quantity at this point

...and freedom of speech...and equal opportunity....and...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Not a morning person.
Honeydew

don't forget the availability of 36DD's overseas as per the other thread..
Old 04-05-2007, 04:40 PM
The makcik!
Durian - The King

Yugi is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget the rights of 36DD too... You stare you ... cause and consequences as the karma law goes. Being with the minimum respect is the most high value. Discrimination Act could be enforced at any level with individual rights!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 PM
The Kung Fu Tupai
Durian - The King

Chinerama is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ong3,

As OT mentioned... it was a letter that was addressed to Mr. Lim which I posted in this thread. But it does reflect my views and lots of my friends' too.

As for voting, I will try to make it (if I ever leave the country). Aren't there overseas voting by post?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Uncle show you goldfish..
Mangosteen - The Queen

seantang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinerama
As for voting, I will try to make it (if I ever leave the country). Aren't there overseas voting by post?
If got voting system for dead people and people who are born in the year 0X (making them either less than a few years old or 100+), postal voting sure got one.

But by the time your ballot paper reaches the count center back home, I'm not sure the X is still in the box you originally ticked.
Sponsored Links