IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Bangsa Malaysia > Bangsa Malaysia
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bangsa Malaysia Berikan pendapat anda bagi mewujudkan BANGSA MALAYSIA!

Old 21-03-2007, 09:29 PM
The makcik!
Durian - The King

Yugi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Like I said, there is no other option.

Do you think it could be real?

Quote:
As for the traditional chinese perception against military careers... that imho, is a stupid tradition.

Don't see it as a tradition. It is a fact. Chinese in bolehland are not likely to join military not only becaues of tradition. Recall once I saw many Chinese askar around but soon they resigned from job. Why?
Old 27-03-2007, 03:51 AM
Rambutan

rakyat is an unknown quantity at this point

"You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugi
Recall once I saw many Chinese askar around but soon they resigned from job. Why?
Same reason why you don't see many non-malay kakitangan kerajaan lor..

男人不 坏 女人不爱

Old 27-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Honeydew

UncleSam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugi
UncleSam, your suggestions into economic power as global citizen ideology sounds real good to upper middle to upper social class Chinese. However, how would you see to get more poverty social groups into middle class? Middle class is the major support for a society. I see that if a social class is well educated with knowledge and skills for better job opportunities, then economic social status could be changed. Hope to hear from you more. Thanks.

There is no restriction for poor family for not having a proper education and grow their wealth, exposure and network from there. Though thru a tougher, more hard work and slower but it is surely a rewarding direction. I always believe education is always the best ladder, though not the fastest to climb up but surely the safest and surest way to climb higher.

With better education, one has more choice of employment opportunities and even from different country of choices. I believe many could observe how many were actually educated oversea and earning foreign currency to feed their family back in Ipoh.

With a strong middle class, professional and executives groups that will enable a strong spending power among community where in turn will generate a stronger and resilient market for Retail Businesses to thrive without influence or dependence on government and its policies.
Old 27-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Honeydew

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantang
Or you can, as unclesam mentioned, build bridges elsewhere.

As for the traditional chinese perception against military careers... that imho, is a stupid tradition.

I don't think it is a stupid traditional, you can see how we are being outnumbered where average Malay family having close to half a dozen childrens while Chinese usually prefer only a pair. So, there is no way getting into military can help much as the number can never be significant plus the red tapes and restriction won't put you in authority.

I think it is better to focus on what we are best at, that is educating ourselve, grow ourself professionally, run a well managed business & divert investment. Though the risk that eventually all the major business and industry will be bumilised but there are still rooms for retail business, professional services and foreign currency worker. You can always call any place that you feel more comfortable as home when you have your opportunity to make a choice. Without proper education, one could only resorted to "jump aeroplane" where I believe Ipoh is one of the most famous city around the world for this.
Old 27-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Uncle show you goldfish..
Mangosteen - The Queen

seantang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSam
I don't think it is a stupid traditional, you can see how we are being outnumbered where average Malay family having close to half a dozen childrens while Chinese usually prefer only a pair. So, there is no way getting into military can help much as the number can never be significant plus the red tapes and restriction won't put you in authority.
Being outnumbered is a practicality. As are unstated barriers to progress in the armed forces.

However, the general disdain of Chinese for military careers is not based on practicality, and not limited to Malaysia only. It is everywhere where there are Chinese (outside China) and where they are not subject to the draft or national service.

And as the saying goes... "good" (hou) sons do not soldier. It does not say smart sons, or practical sons.

That suggests that the aversion to a military career is based on the prejudices long bred into the Chinese psyche, not merely a passing reaction to current circumstances. And that, to me, is the 'stupid' part that most 'merugikan' the security of overseas Chinese everywhere (I can't think of an English word that better describes the Cantonese term 'sit-tai').
Old 27-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Honeydew

Quote:
That suggests that the aversion to a military career is based on the prejudices long bred into the Chinese psyche, not merely a passing reaction to current circumstances. And that, to me, is the 'stupid' part that most 'merugikan' the security of overseas Chinese everywhere (I can't think of an English word that better describes the Cantonese term 'sit-tai').

Even in the event that there is a commotion or whatever, it is unlikely that any chinese in the arm-force could do anything, they are under their superior order and authority as well. During the great riot history, it is the secret society that come upfront to face the challenge. From KL to Selangor to Ipoh, showed the unity of their command chain.

Of course, that is be the worst case scenario that no one in Msia wishes to see, it do not benefit anyone, be it UMNOPutra or BumiPutra or not. Just like Chinese in Indonesia faces serious criminal discrimination & Violence, those that could afford will have their children study in Singapore and park their cash reserve and asset oversea. They will just dig the wealth and divert the cash out, as their way to protest to their discrimination as there is little else that they could do. The same could be done here as well.

The most basic way is to open a non-resident saving or investment bank account in Singapore / Australia / New Zealand / Hong Kong, telegraphic transfer some fund monthly out. Treat it as cash reserve account. Those who can afford, buy a private property on long installment and treat it as long term investment. If Msia economy or currency ever crash again, you have your other basket of egges well reserved for the raining days. If worse to come, just hop over to your 2nd home.
Old 27-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

Quote:
Even in the event that there is a commotion or whatever, it is unlikely that any chinese in the arm-force could do anything, they are under their superior order and authority as well
Yeah, of course. But the fact remains that a Chinese soldier is wayyyy more likely to think twice about shooting a Chinese protestor, when ordered by his commander. And that's the check & balance we want.

If you believe what Lim Chong Eu and Lee Kuan Yew in LKY's memoirs, the army and police were much more willing to "suppress" Chinese protestors/rioters, but on the other hand, they pretty much left the Malay protestors/rioters to their own devices.

Anyway, your method of flight works as well. Just that there are 6 million Chinese in Malaysia and an overwhelming majority of them will not have the option to flee. Many don't have opportunities, have little education and are just living a daily existence. I'm saying to them... stop being vcd peddlars, small time wannabe gangsters, odd job workers, phone shop assistants, workshop kulis etc. Join the army and police. Do some good. Do the only thing that forces a fundamental change in this country. Do something or die trying.
Old 27-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Honeydew

Quote:
Yeah, of course. But the fact remains that a Chinese soldier is wayyyy more likely to think twice about shooting a Chinese protestor, when ordered by his commander. And that's the check & balance we want.

For every ONE that think twice, there will be 20 others who won't blink an eye but it is still the commander in authority calling the shot that surely will not think twice about preventing those who thinking twice from being in the front line. There won't be check & balance in this aspect, a drop in ocean will just drop without a sight and sound.

Quote:
If you believe what Lim Chong Eu and Lee Kuan Yew in LKY's memoirs, the army and police were much more willing to "suppress" Chinese protestors/rioters, but on the other hand, they pretty much left the Malay protestors/rioters to their own devices.

Even at the olden days where there are significantly more chinese in holding position could not do much, much less that they could do anything now.

Quote:
Anyway, your method of flight works as well. Just that there are 6 million Chinese in Malaysia and an overwhelming majority of them will not have the option to flee. Many don't have opportunities, have little education and are just living a daily existence. I'm saying to them... stop being vcd peddlars, small time wannabe gangsters, odd job workers, phone shop assistants, workshop kulis etc. Join the army and police. Do some good. Do the only thing that forces a fundamental change in this country. Do something or die trying.

They could have contribute better if each of them jump aeroplane and bring in their foreign earning. No point dying for something not worth trying. Those who do not stand on their own feet and plan own path has only ownself to blame, no one is going to give a free lunch, much less in giving their choice of life.
Old 28-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Mangosteen - The Queen

Quote:
For every ONE that think twice, there will be 20 others who won't blink an eye but it is still the commander in authority calling the shot that surely will not think twice about preventing those who thinking twice from being in the front line. There won't be check & balance in this aspect, a drop in ocean will just drop without a sight and sound.
That's true in an indoctrinated, homogeneous army like PRC's or the Nazis etc. But in an ethnically diversified army like the US for instance, that won't happen. With white soldiers and black soldiers together, they will shoot each other, rather than shoot a bunch of civilians simply for being white or black.

Quote:
Even at the olden days where there are significantly more chinese in holding position could not do much, much less that they could do anything now.
There weren't that many Chinese in the armed forces in the good ol' days lah. Same 'tradition' applied then, as it does now. There were definitely more Chinese in other branches of the civil service then, but not so in the armed forces.

Quote:
They could have contribute better if each of them jump aeroplane and bring in their foreign earning. No point dying for something not worth trying. Those who do not stand on their own feet and plan own path has only ownself to blame, no one is going to give a free lunch, much less in giving their choice of life.
That's where you and I diverge. You see it as not worth trying. I see it as die trying.

You advocate jumping ship and transforming into Filipino workers. I on the other hand, advocate making a last ditch attempt to save the ship. That's because it's been my ship for 4 generations and I'll be damned if I let someone throw me overboard without a fight.
Old 28-04-2007, 10:28 PM
The Kung Fu Tupai
Durian - The King

Chinerama is an unknown quantity at this point

A letter sent to Mr. Lim Kit Siang. It's self explanatory...

Dear Mr. Lim,

I have utmost respect and admiration for your tenacity in remaining in Malaysia to champion the cause of justice and equality and fight for a Bangsa Malaysia. My heart broke when I read about your article regarding the honest cyber cafe operator especially when he wondered if he “had chosen the wrong country” to start and operate his business.

I see my situation summed up in that phrase. You have said before that the best and brightest are leaving this country. Well, I am making every preparation to leave. I have consistently scored straight As in every public exam and placed among the top 3 of my form. In university, I studied medicine and am among the top scorers. I have just graduated and scored near perfect results in a medical licensing examination that will enable me to work abroad and further my studies.

I was born a Malaysian yet I cannot see myself as a Malaysian. As a chinese, I feel that I am being discriminated against. I feel that the government is trying its hardest to sideline me just because of my race. I look around and see this discrimination manifested in various forms. From the issue regarding religious conversion to the allocation of places in local universities, the stench of discrimination is sickening.

It was horrifying to note in my batch of medical students, there were a substantial number of malay students who actually did not apply for medicine but were sent to study it. It is disgusting to think that many STPM straight A scorers are deprived of a chance to study medicine while the government gives the places to people who are not even sure that they want to study medicine.

I have seen how racial politics sully the environment in the university and how unqualified people are in high posts at the expense of far more intelligent and qualified individuals just
because they are malay. I have heard the terrible statements made by delegates at the recent UMNO General Assembly about revoking my citizenship rights should I question their special rights. I have seen the videos on YouTube where UMNO MPs have the audacity to ask us to “keluar” of the country if we don’t like what they are doing to it. And I see the pathetic attempt by the PM to “discipline” these racists. I hate the fact that Gerakan and MCA have done NOTHING to fight for my rights instead of
just kow-towing to UMNO for their own gains.

Patriotism isn’t about singing the national anthem or raising the flag. It isn’t about accepting at face value everything the government says. It isn’t about attending merdeka celebrations. It is about feeling accepted as part of your nation. It is about knowing that your nation accepts you as a son or daughter. It is about realizing that being a part of a nation entails certain responsibilities. That is my definition of patriotism. And right now, as a Malaysian, I am feeling anything BUT patriotic. 50 years of independence? So what? What has it done for me? Whoopee.

I have a chance to change my life. I will change my destiny. I could not choose the country where I was born but I can very well choose the country that I will swear my allegiance to. I want a country that will recognize me as a citizen and grant me rights equal to that of all other citizens. I want a country that has the wisdom to recognize my potential and talents and reward me accordingly. I want a country where the government fears its people and conducts itself in a manner worthy of respect and honor.

This is not my nation. I am leaving. Mr. Lim, I salute you and all those like you who can find the strength and energy to fight for an ungrateful bunch of people. How many actually held mass protests, hunger strikes or rose up to defend you and your family when you or your son was imprisoned for fighting for us? How many did more than just shake their heads and move on with their petty little lives? None that I know of. Yet you continue to defend their rights. You are an amazing man, Mr. Lim and I truly admire you for that. Unfortunately, I have a bright future ahead and I will not waste it in this country. It is not my nation.

Thank you for fighting the good fight.
Sponsored Links