IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Development in Perak > Development in Perak
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune
Default Perak to see US$75m photovoltaic investment

Written by Karamjit Singh Thursday, 10 June 2010 11:27

KUALA LUMPUR: The Red Solar (M) Sdn Bhd (TRS), a Perak SEDC associate company, has signed a shareholders agreement with Silicon Valley-based Twin Creeks Technologies Inc, (TCTI) a leading designer and manufacturer of proprietary next-generation solar cells, to set up a 100MW scalable production facility for photovoltaic solar panels in Perak.

The signing ceremony was completed on Monday at TCTI’s technology centre and corporate headquarters at the Silicon Valley, San Jose, California.

With this, Perak will soon host a cutting-edge photovoltaic (PV) cell production facility involving an initial foreign direct investment of US$75 million (RM249 million) from TCTI to produce 100MW of PV cells per annum by 2012, creating about 1,000 high-tech jobs in the state.

The investment by TCTI was eventually expected to hit US$250 million when the plant hit the 100MW PV cells production, said TRS executive chairman and CEO Datuk Rais Hussin Mohamed Ariff.

TRS would contribute RM39.9 million to the venture in the form of land and infrastructure costs, said Rais Hussin.

He added that the joint venture was the result of a successful Perak trade and investment delegation mission to the Silicon Valley late last year led by the Perak Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Zambry Abdul Kadir.

Founder and CEO of TCTI, Siva Sivaram said TCTI was founded in early 2008 with a simple premise — towards bringing affordable solar energy to all parts of the world without using toxic new materials.

“The team at TCTI feels passionately about solar: we believe that solar energy is the answer to some of the key problems of our times: high energy cost, local energy security and global warming,” he said.

Blessed with an ideal location, well laid-out scenic towns like Ipoh and logistically well-connected to sea ports and the KLIA, Perak is aggressively promoting itself and specifically the Meru MSC-designated area as the preferred location for high-tech industries.

Solar PV production is one such industry that could benefit from what Perak has to offer.

Malaysia is situated in the equatorial region with an average radiation of 4,500KWh per square metre and is an ideal location for large-scale solar power installations. Considering that Malaysia gets on average 4.5 hours to eight hours of free and bountiful sunshine everyday, the potential for solar power generation is very high.

“However, the real harnessing of this renewable energy source is way below its actual potential,” said Rais Hussin.

Work on the facility is expected to begin within the next three months.

Last edited by fortune : 10-06-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Banana

ipohmali86 is on a distinguished road

seems like a promising project. hope it can create more job opportunities in ipoh
Old 26-08-2010, 05:48 PM

photovoltaik is on a distinguished road

Nice project... I appreciate you ....
Old 30-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Coconut

Leawitt is on a distinguished road

Read and forgo ... I m sorry to said that every announcement regarding development plan or investment plan from the state goverment is for happy hearing only. Even the project started, the confident level for the project to success is zero (for me) ...