IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Environment Protection > Environment Guard
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Environment Guard Report any individual or party whose activities are hazardous to our environment

Old 11-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Durian - The King

ipohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

In the spring of 2002, a large chunk of the Larsen B ice shelf (LIS-B) on the Antarctic Peninsula broke off and tumbled into the Weddell Sea. A new analysis published today in the journal Nature suggests that the more than 3,200 square kilometer area that collapsed signifies an unprecedented loss in the past 10,000 years and can be attributed to accelerated climate warming in the region.

Eugene Domack of Hamilton College and his colleagues studied six sediment cores collected from the area around the ice shelf as well as other data, such as temperature and salinity measurements of the Weddell Sea. The results indicate that LIS-B has been stable since the Late Pleistocene to Holocene transition, which occurred 11,500 years ago. The ice shelf had been thinning slowly, however, which was evidenced by a change in the oxygen isotopes present in plankton preserved from the underlying water column. The team calculates that the glacier thinned by a few tens of meters over the course of thousands of years.

Local temperatures on the Antarctic Peninsula, meanwhile, have risen by about two degrees Celsius over the past 50 years, an increase that is more pronounced than in other regions of the world. The authors write that their observation that the modern collapse of the LIS-B is a unique event supports the hypothesis that the current warming trend in the northwestern Weddell Sea is longer and bigger than past warm episodes. Together with the slow thinning, it was this prolonged period of warming that led to LIS-B's collapse, they conclude. --Sarah Graham

Source: Scientific American
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Durian - The King

Location: middle of tropics, south of nort pole, north of south pole
K-Fanz is off the scale
remember 'day after tomorrow'? will new ice age coming now?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

foon is off the scale
Looking at the happenings around the world, I've no doubt about what have been shown in the Day After Tomorrow. The question is, when?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Durian - The King

K-Fanz is off the scale
in relation to that. i did pose a question to mineral and geo sains dept about our limestone strenght, will those limestone near our residence will collapse in let say 1 year ?
all he said was, it can collapse in tomorrow, next week, next year or another 100 year.
it shows that, althought we have put man into space( on moon landing, i doubt it ), still we lack understanding on our mother earth
Old 12-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

foon is off the scale
If we understand our mother earth that well, we wouldn't have to face global warming and all these environmental issues now.
Old 15-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Durian - The King

K-Fanz is off the scale
i read a theory on our relationship with nature;
stage 1 : i - thou
means, we (i) as man respect nature (thou) and embrace it as lovers.
stage 2 : i - you
means, we respect nature as what it is.
stage 3 ; i - it
means, respect for nature are no more.

as what we see now, we are in stage 3.