IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > DIGITAL GADGETS > Cell Phones
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cell Phones Discussions about the models, features, prices & etc

Old 23-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Uncle show you goldfish..
Mangosteen - The Queen

seantang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifiabc
Any idea if the Sony UX have integrated phone functions?
None of the UMPCs have normal cellular phone functions. But given the fact that the phone function these days take up only very little real estate on a mobile phone's circuit board, I do think it can be easily added, if the manufacturers wanted to. The UMPCs already have the speakers and microphones for normal voice calls, and also the front facing camera and screen for 3G/3.5G.

Besides, if there's a real possibility that UMPCs can displace mobile phones, there's no reason why a USB or PCMCIA phone adaptor will not hit the market. There's already USB tv receivers that you can buy to watch normal terrestrial tv broadcasts on pc.
Sponsored Links
Old 23-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Honeydew

wifiabc is on a distinguished road

If they integrate the phone it would be the perfect gadget for the road warrior

Last edited by wifiabc : 23-12-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 24-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Honeydew

UncleSam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantang
Nokia N95... the Holy Grail is near.

Here's a 120gm phone that combines (1) a quadband phone,
(2)
media player for MP3, MP4s, FM radio with a regular 3.5mm video/stereo audio jack,
(3)
Wifi/WLAN 802.11 b/g ala PC/PDAs, as well as traditional smartphone networking ie. EDGE, 3G WCDMA and 3.5G HSDPA,
(4) Bluetooth 2.0 and InfraRed.
(5) Mini-USB 2.0 (with Universal PnP controller!) opening up the possibility of myriad bolt on applications currently enjoyed by PCs,
(6)
MSOffice, PDF file support,
(7)
160MBs of internal memory, MicroSD (8GB and 10GB MicroSD cards will apparently be available soon),
(8) 5 Megapixel camera (Carl Zeiss optics and Tessar lens), and
(9) DVD quality video recording ie. VGA (640 x 480) at 30 fps (frames per second).

Oh, don't forget the (10) full fledged GPS navigation with voice instructions. Damn useful for people with no sense of direction.

What have we got? A smartphone, PDA, ipod video MP4 player, digital camera, DVD video camcorder and GPS navigator, all in one 120gm package. And with a USB controller, the possibilities could open up.

A must-buy for 2007, if there ever was one. Indications on the net are that the price will be US$700 or S$1050 or RM2500. That's a pretty good early adopter price for a nifty piece of kit like this.

I should mention though that the early impressions of battery life isn't so good. Most sites predict a need for daily recharging on moderate-to-heavy use. Hopefully Nokia will provide a higher capacity battery when the N95 launches in 1Q2007.

And with a 2.6" screen and no proper keyboard, you won't be able to perform the full range of online tasks... like writing a blog like this for instance. I'm also still skeptical about how fulfilling or frustrating an experience, surfing will be, with a 2.6" screen. You'll be scrolling and fiddling like mad with the magnifier box to read a blog page like this.

And while USB 2.0 UPnP is promising, Symbian and even Windows Mobile is definitely not the same as Windows XP. I don't expect at all, to be able to control my DVD burners, external hard discs etc. using any mobile phone's USB, anytime in the foreseeable future. So, there might be a need yet for me to replace my Lenovo X60 with a full fledged Windows XP, 8" screen, Pentium chipped, 800gm UMPC (Ultra Mobile Personal Computer) like Sony's UX, Samsung's Q1 or Asus' R2H.

But N95 seems running on S60 Symbian OS, which surely has more limitation when the device need to communicate with main stream pc application, but it also depending on individual need. Those that use it as standalone device, may not bother too much of this but imagine if you need to sync with your Outlook & address book, share your browser bookmarks, autofill/password manager, skype, IM, etc... then Window Mobile 5 will come in handy.

My take is still http://www.eten.com/products/Communication/M700.php, though Dopod 838 Pro is pretty much similiar but M700 looks much better, lighter and slimmer.
Old 24-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Mangosteen - The Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSam
But N95 seems running on S60 Symbian OS, which surely has more limitation when the device need to communicate with main stream pc application, but it also depending on individual need. Those that use it as standalone device, may not bother too much of this but imagine if you need to sync with your Outlook & address book, share your browser bookmarks, autofill/password manager, skype, IM, etc... then Window Mobile 5 will come in handy.

My take is still http://www.eten.com/products/Communication/M700.php, though Dopod 838 Pro is pretty much similiar but M700 looks much better, lighter and slimmer.
Nokia has lots of software out for Symbian to sync with XP. The independent software companies have even more. Every CD shop or phone shops will have lots of CD titles with Nokia software.

For someone like me who likes good pictures but not heavy pockets, the camera is very important too, something which a Dopod, in fact every PDA is lacking. Not to mention a DVD camcorder. I used the DVD quality recording on the N73, and it's lots of fun. And the file formats is not 3GP, but mp4/avi which is easily burnable with most movie authoring software like Nero etc, and playable on most newer household DVD players with Xvid and Dvix decoders.

And the GPS is a big plus. Hopefully the GPS maps in Malaysia/Singapore are serviceable enough for me to get rid of the road directory in my bag.

Last edited by seantang : 24-12-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 31-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

Default Nokia N95's price is an exorbitant S$1288 in Singapore

According to the Today newspaper, the Nokia N95 finally has a price in Singapore... S$1,288 (USD 850 or RM3,000).

Way, waaayyy too expensive if you ask me. That's Mickey Mouse pricing... for now. With the Apple iPhone coming next year, I would expect no less than for the N95's price to drop considerably during the latter part of this year.

I definitely won't be an early adopter like I was for the SonyEricsson K800i.

Posted by seantang at Saturday, March 31, 2007
Labels: Gadgets and Misc Shit
Old 26-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Banana

tthdan is on a distinguished road
Default Budget Mobile

Looking budget around RM800 - 1000/-max....which mobile's available to go for original new set or used one?? either 3G or non 3G...?
Old 26-07-2007, 05:41 PM
The Kung Fu Tupai
Durian - The King

Chinerama is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a SE W610i for RM1K. No 3G or wifi. Got a 2 Megapixel camera, pretty good walkman function (the headphones that come with it produce great sound quality) and all the usual phone stuff that you would normally need.

Good mid level phone i would say. Only thing is it took me a while to get used to the keys. It's a little small but it's all right once i got used to it.

Overall, I'm happy with it
Old 26-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Primmie
Durian - The King

Primrose Hill is an unknown quantity at this point

My contract ended and my phone upgrade came through to LG Shine. It's alright, not totally sure of it, so still using my 6280