IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Online Web Forum > City Focus
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

City Focus If you feel strongly about certain issues concerning the state of PERAK and IPOH, let your thoughts be known!

Old 16-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Guava

btg2000 is off the scale
Talking

From a Bruneian perspective:-

1. Malaysian Chinese - charming, easy-going, helpful, voluble, luuuurves good food, very friendly and comradely, always extends a helping hand to anor fellow Chinese who hails from anor country.
2. Singaporean Chinese - regimented, repressed, neurotic, semi-psychotic shrink-cases, money-grubbing experts, calculates depreciation value of infant babies, applies for government permits to perform even basic bodily functions like farting/crapping, always looking over their shoulders, dare not speak anything good or ill for fear of being sued, has reputably the lowest sex drive in the world (being shown nothing to inform them of the delights of sex) according a survey by Durex. Last time I saw similar such people, they came from the now-happily-defunct USSR. At the rate they are failing to reproduce themselves soon joining the USSR in history. Thinks the WORLD of themselves but actually extremely naive and ignorant once they step out of their little make-belief amusement park of a pretend-country. I applaud the PRC Chinese for ripping them off utterly (re Suzhou). They deserve it for their hubris.
3. Hong Kong Chinese - brash, quick, loud, quick, impolite, quick, pressurized, quick, enterprising (coz no one would care for them), quick, incredibly uncouth, but quick, ruthless in a quick fashion, basically squeezing in something like 80 seconds per minute.
4. Taiwanese Chinese - sly, fruadulent, conmen, one and all. Their women are prostitutes and their menfolk fraudsters. All horrifying mutants. Carpet bomb with Neutron Bomb is the best solution to the plague called Taiwanese.
5. Mainland Chinese - the shameless and ruthless will soon inherit Historic Greatness. But good thing they put Singaporeans in their place. haha. Yi wu zhi yi wu (one thing cures another - Chinese proverb). Soon these people will run the 2nd Superpower on Earth, all prepare to kowtow, resistance is useless. Greater China Empire (Grosser Chine Reich) ist komming
6. American Chinese - depends on faction. Taiwanese American Chinese behave like their original plague strain from Taiwan, PRC American Chinese are like those from PRC, Singaporean American Chinese ditto, Vietnamese American Chinese ditto. Very hard to say. Wait till they open their mouth then - Voila - accent gives away their origin.
7. Bruneian Chinese - errrrr, huuuuuh, which planet is this? Ohh wow, is this tar on the road surface? Wow, sooooo high-tech hoh. Ohhh look! A wet market! Just like we have back home in BSB! And wow, they got kopi here too! Wonders never cease! And whats that? TeeVee? Ohmygawd, the excitement is killing me, I must sit down ..... Errrr, is it 10-am orredy? When do we eat lunch?? Hey, without puteh I cannot eat rice leh. Duuuuhhh ..... Alamak, 5pm ha? Bedtime for me, people. Goodnite. Duuuuh-ZZZzzzz-zzzzzz.
Q. What do you think of them?
Q. Why?
Old 17-12-2005, 04:03 AM
...my eyes are watching!!
Durian - The King

hop hop is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to hop hop
Malaysian Chinese – Agree , because I am one.

Singapore Chinese – Agree. Lateral thinkers. Counting money is a national sport.

Hong Kong Chinese – Agree. Not much choice. Constrained by space, time, recent colonial history plus surrounded by ex-communist.

Taiwanese Chinese – No idea. Ones that I’ve met are o.k. National dishes, rice porridge and funny dumplings. Easy last meal just in case China decides to toss a bomb.

Mainland Chinese – Agree. Profit before friendship. Least welcome on my list. Needs some lessons in social etiquette.

American Chinese – Ask O.T.

Bruneian Chinese – Ask BTG 2000 or, is it 2006.

Australian Chinese – No worries, mate!! Ozzie…Ozzie….Ozzie…Oi….Oi…Oi!!! World cup here we come.
Old 17-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Oldtimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

There are always bad apples in any group plus over generalization tends be unfair, too.
With that said, I would share my own personal experience and perception with the different Chinese immigrants here in the states and the native born.

ABCs tend to be more open and frank, but somehow lack the "Confucian" mannerism and are usually independent thinkers.
HK Chinese are more calculating and tend not to trust others much.
Malaysian Chinese are more friendly and practical.
Singaporean Chinese are more competitive and "kiasu".
Mainland or PRC Chinese are often more greedy, rude and very materialistic.
Taiwanese Chinese tend to have advance academic degrees, very political and seldom mix with the mainstream population.
Vietnamese Chinese are slick and therefore are true "survivors".
These are straightly my own perceptions from personal contacts. It is in no way intented to be representative of any group.
OT [img]graemlins/alt-peace.gif[/img]

[ 17.12.2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Oldtimer ]
Old 20-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Guava

btg2000 is off the scale
How about dialect groups?

Wuddaya guys think of the following as they are like in Malaysia (not in their native lands, but in Malaysia)?

Hokkien
Cantonese
Shanghainese
Hainanese
Teochews
Fuchows
Old 22-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Guava

btg2000 is off the scale
Huh, no replies hey? OK here's my 2-sen worth

The following dialect as they are perceived by me in Brunei:-

Hokkien - loud, brash, dominates the transport / road-construction trade, clannish. But very powerful and influential in terms of sheer numbers.

Cantonese - reserved, more refined, largely keeps to themselves. Runs provision shops and restaurants. A lot of the intelligentsia (doctors, teachers, librarians) are Cantonese.

Shanghainese - proud, aloof, very ''atas'' in mannerism, very off-putting, dominates the tailornig, pawn shop, jewel-shops, watch shops, furniture shops and bookstores, and printing presses. 2nd generation branch into interior decor and the professions (law, accountancy etc).

Hainanese - the Chinese Germans (spks a dialect no one else can understand, hence ''German''). Tends to dominate the bakery, eatery and laundry sectors. Very loud-mouthed and slightly crazy (eccentric) people. Looooves politics. Between 5 Hainanese there'd be 8 factions (the factions regroup depends on the issue).

Teochews - I dunno enuff of them to comment.

Fuchows - I dunno enuff of them to comment. A very small minority in Brunei.
Old 22-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

aen is off the scale
hokkien - shrew and great business ppl, strong sense of belonging - a lot of big clans are made of hokkiens

cantonese - the gourmet ppl, has taste buds for just about anything

hakka - most hardworking of all chinese groups, simple way of life, and easy to get along - because of their nomadic tradition

hainanense - not too sure, but i heard they are quite harsh

teochiew - stingy by nature, - close cousins to the hokkiens

fuchows - tends to move in groups, dialect is quite harsh
Old 22-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Pomelo

ReenaRina is off the scale
Chinese are like cocroaches...u can see them everywhere...There are lots of mainland chinese in teh UAE...they are rude, quick and can easily smell opportunities...recently i attended the Dubai Motoshow 2005...and at teh accessories booth...they've allocated a section only for chinese exhibitors....man!! they have all teh stuff for teh car for dead cheap price...but i was hesitatnt to buy coz fearing teh quality and compatibility..

What beats me is...how can they survive here with minimal knowledge in english.. ...they must eb really good.. [img]graemlins/icon_nworthy.gif[/img]
How you made them feel
Old 22-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Oldtimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Reena,
This one here (points to self) is very slow to learn. Could you please explain to me what "eb" means?
Thank you. [img]graemlins/icon_nworthy.gif[/img]

[ 22.12.2005, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Oldtimer ]
Old 22-12-2005, 02:17 PM
The Legend aka Racist Mod
Durian - The King

RawFlesh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Oldtimer:
Reena,
This one here (points to self) is very slow to learn. Could you please explain to me what "eb" means?
Thank you. [img]graemlins/icon_nworthy.gif[/img]
She types too quickly and doesn't corrects mistakes like teh is the, so eb is be

WHY so SERIOUS?
Old 22-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Rambutan

kungfucandy is off the scale
Send a message via MSN to kungfucandy
Hmm i would really like to know more about Hakka and their nomadic tradition. Could anyone please tell me more? [img]graemlins/rosesmiley.gif[/img]

I mean i could never understand that. We have different kinds of Hakkas depending on which village/district they are from right? Then how can they distinct betweeen that when they are nomadic?
Sponsored Links