IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Language Corner > Learn Your Bahasa Malaysia
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Learn Your Bahasa Malaysia Ask or share your knowledge on the National Langguage here.

Old 22-03-2011, 04:23 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune
Default Malay names without "bin" or "bindi" are illegitimate

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/3/22/focus/8318061&sec=focus

Made ‘illegitimate’ by red tape

MY wife and I went to the Registration Department in Shah Alam to get an IC done for our son who has turned 12.

All our children do not have “bin” or “binti” to their names in their birth certificates. The Registration Department Officer suggested that we include a “bin” in his IC.

We asked shouldn’t the name on the IC be exactly the same as that on the birth certificate?

He then proceeded to recite to us a new ruling, Perkara 13, presumably of the Department’s Regulations and Rules Book or By-laws, that says “an illegitimate child or a child born out of wedlock shall not bear the word ‘bin’ or ‘binti’ on his/her birth certificate or IC”.

Thus if we do not include “bin” on our son’s IC, he will be viewed as “illegitimate”.

We reiterated that we do not want our son’s name to be changed and his name on the IC must be exactly the same as that on the birth certificate.

The officer reminded us again of the consequences and possible repercussion of our request, the shame that we may put our son through in future, being mistaken for or viewed as illegitimate every time he uses his IC.

When we insisted, he relented, but asked us to sign some sort of declaration or consent form, which we did.

Now we have five “illegitimate” children in the family.

Is it fair to brand a child as illegitimate and subsequently make it publicly known and easily identifiable through the IC? The child through no fault of his/her own will have to live with that stigma all his/her life.

As a consequence of that ruling, too, legitimate children like ours are also wrongly categorised as “illegitimate”. On both counts, it cannot be right, morally or otherwise.

I hope the relevant authorities will do away with the ruling.

MUHAMMAD ABDULLAH,

Shah Alam.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Not Matchstick WIth Boobs
Durian - The King

Nur is an unknown quantity at this point

My son has no bin. He is named just like the American named their kids, as my ex husband is an American. I have never had this problem with the authority .. Well other than that my son is lain2 and not bumi or Malay

Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Anybody wants some
Durian - The King

Tintin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nur
My son has no bin. He is named just like the American named their kids, as my ex husband is an American. I have never had this problem with the authority .. Well other than that my son is lain2 and not bumi or Malay
This is interesting. How did you manage to maneuver around the law?
Old 29-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Coconut

marigold is on a distinguished road
Default Easily solved

In Islam, legitimacy of a person is crucial to many issues e.g inheritance, marriage, child support etc. so having bin or binti is part of Malay culture practiced since Islam was adopted in the Malay peninsular. The law is a formalisation. Apart from the Islamic requirement, there is the allocation of the country's resources to Bumis otherwise known as Bumi rights. Muslim Malaysians who are not ethnically native to this land are given or claim this allocation based on their bin or binti; they can be biologically Chinese or Indian or Arab or Javanese or Achenese etc. and some (insignificant number) may want to follow their own ways. Those who have problems with this practice are most likely from this group of 'Malays'. The problem could be easily solved, just don't put Malay or Bumiputra where the race identification is. QED.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Banana

sampendleton is on a distinguished road

Do you guys know a site (dictionary type of site) where I can learn the malaysian language??
Old 15-08-2014, 12:23 AM
Coconut

marigold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampendleton
Do you guys know a site (dictionary type of site) where I can learn the malaysian language??

Try the Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka site. They are the BM experts so might have online help.
Sponsored Links