IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Online Web Forum > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Voice out your thoughts here!

Old 05-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Durian - The King

ipohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dr M, here are 17 more

When you finished reading this letter from Norman, you should be able to understand why our Public Debt is escalating, Electric Tariff has to be increased & Fuel subsidy has to be reduced. You may add in more questions if you want.

Norman Fernandez to Malaysiakini.com

Jul 5, 06 6:23pm

For a man who held in complete contempt anyone who dared to question his policies and decisions, it comes as a complete surprise that in retirement, Dr Mahathir Mohamad has suddenly taken the high moral ground and is now unrelenting in his pursuit for answers for decisions taken by the present government of Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

Since Mahathir demands answers, it is only right and justified that the same ordinary public which he now claims to be part of also requires him to answers the following questions:
  1. What was the basis of inviting Libyan-American Sadeq Mustaffa to Malaysia to set up InventQjaya Sdn Bhd and to also give him a grant of RM440 million? What was the benefit for Malaysia and how has Malaysia benefitted?
  2. What was the justification for privatising profitable state-owned enterprises like Telekom Malaysia, Tenaga Nasional and Pos Malaysia?
  3. What was the basis of granting Indah Water Konsortium a concession to manage the national sewerage system? Could you explain the RM1.4 billion soft loan to IWK which is clearly has irrecoverable losses?
  4. You insinuate Khairy Jamaluddin. Did you not assist your son Mirzan by rescuing Konsortium Perkapalan Berhad (then owned by Mirzan) and which had debts of RM1.7 billion using funds from Petronas? Was it not your administration which forced Malaysian International Shipping Company (MISC) to acquire the assets of Konsortium Perkapalan Nasional?
  5. Did your government not sell Malaysian Airlines System without an open tender to Tajuddin Ramli who had no knowledge whatsoever about running an airline? Why did your government then later bail out Tajuddin by paying RM8 per share when the shares were trading at only RM3.60 in the open market.
  6. Did your administration not bail out Time Dotcom Bhd which was saddled with a RM5 billion debt? Why did your government bail out Time DotCom Bhd using RM904 million from Kumpulan Wang Amanah Pencen to buy up 273.9 million unwanted Time Dotcom shares incurring an instant loss of RM280 million?
  7. Did you not force the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) to buy 81.6 million unsubscribed public portion of the initial public offering (IPO) of Time Dotcom Bhd at RM3.30 per share when the shares were trading at only between RM1.95 and RM2.10 and in the process incurring an instant loss of RM100 million?
  8. Did you not bail out the light rail transit operators Projek Usahasama Transit Ringan Automatik Sdn Bhd (Putra) which belonged to Renong and Sistem Transit Aliran Ringan Sdn Bhd (Star) using almost RM600 million from EPF which still resulted in EPF having to write off RM135 million with a share loss of RM96 million?
  9. Did your administration not award North South Expressway concession to UEM (who then formed Plus) and then provide them with a loan of RM1.6 billion which was half of the tender price of RM3.2 billion. What was the justification for your administration to grant Plus such overgenerous terms which included annual increment of toll rates and guaranteed traffic volumes?
  10. What was the justification of your administration in 1998 in awarding a RM24.3 billion contract to PSC Industries Berhad, together with an advance of more than RM2.5 billion to build naval patrol boats? Why were they also given exclusive rights to service the Malaysian navy’s entire fleet? Could you confirm that the first two ships built by PSCI could not even pass pre-delivery trials? How would you answer to the Public Accounts Committee’s revelation that it will cost the government another RM120 million just to salvage the first two vessels nearing completion after seven years?
  11. What was the basis of awarding Ekran Bhd the contract to build the Bakun Hydroelectric Dam in Sarawak? Why did your administration take over the construction of the dam by bailing out Ekran by almost RM200 million for ‘work done’?
  12. What was the justification for your administration in Maminco to corner the London tin market which instead resulted in Maminco losing RM150 million?
  13. Was your administration not vitriolic about George Soros and other currency traders and hedge fund managers but yet presided over speculation in the foreign exchange markets which ultimately cost Bank Negara almost RM9.3 billion in losses?
  14. What are the total losses of Perwaja Steel and how much of public funds have been used to cover these losses of Perwaja Steel?
  15. What was the basis for your administration, at the expense of Malaysian taxpayers, to force Tenaga Nasional Berhad to accept such grossly unfair and unjustified terms in purchasing energy from independent power producers?
  16. What was the justification of privatising the government medical stores to Southern Task Sdn Bhd which then hiked up the prices of medicines?
  17. Perhaps you could also reveal how much of Petronas monies have been used by your administration in bailouts and projects of folly.
Naturally there are many more questions the Malaysian public would want answers to but answering these questions first would be a good start.
Source: Malaysiakini.com
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Strawberry

Billy of Ipoh is on a distinguished road

Anybody calculated, from above 17 questions, how much money did our DrM used for bailouts?

Bet Mahathir has no answer....will not answer....other than "Ngo Chou See Emm Sai Lay Lei" (Me Perform My Duty You No Need To Meddle)

Old 06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
We must prevail.....
Durian - The King

Ipohite39 is off the scale

Sigh! We need a Mohandas K. Gandhi to lead us instead of 3 out of the 5 PMs we had/have. Will God or his Messiah send us one? Or he just has to come out of a non-BN political party. The so-called elite orang tanah has plundered so much that the poor orang tanah had the chance to be influenced by PAS. The only silver lining in the cloud is the Media n' Press Freedom we have now so unheard of between 1981 to 2003.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Strawberry

Billy of Ipoh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipohite39
Sigh! We need a Mohandas K. Gandhi to lead us instead of 3 out of the 5 PMs we had/have. Will God or his Messiah send us one? Or he just has to come out of a non-BN political party. The so-called elite orang tanah has plundered so much that the poor orang tanah had the chance to be influenced by PAS. The only silver lining in the cloud is the Media n' Press Freedom we have now so unheard of between 1981 to 2003.

AB era is certainly better than Mahathir in terms of freedom of speech. We can breath easier now and vent our frustrations without fear of ISA.

The present system does not work and will not work...the racial politics....

Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Durian - The King

kanden is off the scale

the new era of "openness" under AB has made politics so much more interesting

- from the Dhammapada (Sayings of the Buddha)
Old 10-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Durian - The King

Location: middle of tropics, south of nort pole, north of south pole
K-Fanz is off the scale

sigh..malaysian still missing the great clue here. while we bashing TDM on his 22 years mismanagement of this country, while current PM is doing the same thing again and again.
so are we waiting next 22 years to voice injustice?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Durian - The King

kanden is off the scale

the alternative & more +ve view which i take is based on AB's promise he will do his best to fight corruption & improve.

if he offers hope & gives his word, i'm gonna hold onto his word & use his word to "pressure" him into action. at least there is hope. i c no other better alternative.

coincidentally, this is way to support pple who want to turn over a new leaf eg cigarette smokers / drug addicts who want to quit. we must hold on to the hope & work in all positivity. the moment we give up, all is lost.

as long as i do not c a better alternative, i'll support the lesser of the evils. true, he may be corrupt in some ways. nothing as major as Dr M's admin as yet. truth is, without corruption, the politicians will not have "enough to makan". politics pay poorly, at least officially, in msia.

i believe in AB. however, i do not believe in the rest of the downlines which have been there since time of Dr M.

once cannot uproot corruption overnight, however. msian politics has been corrupted from the onset (yes, since TAR time). that's half century of -ve brain-washing. it will take a generation of cleanliness at least to clean it out.

i do not believe in bashing Dr M cos what's done is done. but i think Dr M is worse than a pot calling a kettle black. which is y i've lost a lot of respect for him.

- from the Dhammapada (Sayings of the Buddha)
Old 10-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Uncle show you goldfish..
Mangosteen - The Queen

seantang is on a distinguished road

I tend to think that AB started off well. But after the death of the late first lady, I think he's succumbed to despair and has become a shadow of the man he was during the GE. You can tell from his face, his demeanour and the simple conviction of his language. Don't you think these days, he's continuously spouting slogans during his speeches, rather than saying anything of real consequence?

My suspicion is that he's become mentally exhausted, very dependent on his daughter emotionally and on her husband governmentally. And the 'downline' as you so aptly put it, have run amok.

During Mahathir's time, the corruption was pretty darn bad, but at least it was tightly controlled by Mahathir or Daim. In AAB's administration, there's a very real danger of the whole wagon going uncontrollably over the cliff.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Durian - The King

Location: middle of tropics, south of nort pole, north of south pole
K-Fanz is off the scale

everything is on edge.
economic(when he secretly sign trade act with japan, cheaper honda cars and we sold sayur to them), politic(his elegance silent and directing son in law to wage media war) shows that he lost his marble. first and foremost in leadership act, u have to show urself be able to mount any offensive act against u, if not, ur leadership 'aura' will be gone.

in the beginning, me too looking for better malaysia. but nowdays, things getting murkier.
Old 21-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Rambutan

KatoeyLover69 is on a distinguished road
Default Tun dear, more questions for you please

Report from Malaysiakini dated Thursday 20 July 2006 :-

Tun dear, more questions for you please

By Raja Petra Kamarudin

At 9.00am on Saturday, 22 June 2006, Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad will be returning home. He will be arriving at the old Bunga Raya Complex in the Subang Airport.

I am sure Mahathir has read the previous episode of The Corridors of Power. I was told he surfs the internet often enough and Malaysia Today is one of the sites he occasionally pops in to pay a visit. And when he is too busy to get onto the internet, I was told one of his aides would printout articles and reports that they feel are important enough to warrant his attention. Anyway, I think I might go to the airport to meet him. No, I am not going to the airport to shout “Hidup Mahathir!” or to thank him for reading Malaysia Today. I will go there to make sure he answers my questions. And I want him to answer them not in private but publicly in Kota Bharu at 3.30pm on Friday, 28 July 2006.

In the previous episode of The Corridor of Power, I asked Mahathir to reveal who the Chinese businessman who paid Jamaluddin Jarjis RM60 million for the Sepang Power IPP is. Of course, less than 10% of that went to the Heritage Foundation so the bulk of it must still be in someone’s pocket. The Sepang IPP was initially owned by an Umno company before it was run into the ground with RM500 million in losses. How could a company that has not commenced business yet lose that much money? But since it is an Umno company who cares? That is Umno’s problem and we are not Umno members -- so we leave it to the Umno members to raise this question. However, that company has since been sold to the government and the government money comes from us, so we have every right ask that the truth be told.

Now, this is certainly a most puzzling turn of events. According to Ani Arope in last month’s revelation in The Star, he said he was not happy with the way the IPPs were implemented and he identified Mahathir as the ‘criminal’ behind this entire scheme of arrangements. But when we look at the Sepang IPP carefully, we can find that it was Jamaluddin Jarjis who schemed and scammed the entire thing. What was Mahathir’s role in this whole fiasco? Have I missed something? Did I maybe not get the full picture? If so, then maybe those involved can enlighten me and help set the record straight. If I am wrong in assuming that Jamaluddin and not Mahathir was the key player in the Sepang IPP, then correct me, and I stand corrected. But if I am right, then this certainly vindicates Mahathir and the blame rests entirely on the shoulders of Jamaluddin.

If this is so, would Ani Arope like to now issue a correction to his original statement that Mahathir was the hantu (devil) behind the IPPs? Hey, Ani Arope did not say Mahathir was behind SOME of the IPPs while others are behind the rest. He gave the impression that ALL the IPPs were Mahathir’s handiwork and we have just proven that the Sepang IPP had nothing to do with Mahathir. In fact, even if you want to ‘blame’ the YTL Power IPP in Terengganu to Mahathir, that is currently the most successful IPP while those such as Sepang have gone bankrupt and in all these years has never even started construction yet, let alone produce any electricity.

Okay, you might argue that the question is not about success or failure. The question is about whether the TNB-IPP power supply agreements are fair to TNB or favouring the IPPs. That is of course a business decision, not a corruption issue -- unless there was money changing hands between the IPP owners and Mahathir, which Ani Arope did not say there was. Is Ani Arope implying there was? In that case he had better speak up and reveal who paid, who received, and the amounts involved. Ani Arope is now obligated to make this clear since he has raised this allegation of ‘misconduct’.

Today, they say that TNB is losing money because of the high cost of electricity they have to pay when buying from the IPPs. Is that so? What is the breakdown? Has this ever been revealed? Has TNB shown us any accounts to reveal how much they earn from their internally-generated electricity and how much they lose buying from the independent electricity suppliers?

Okay, maybe I am not making myself clear here. Let us use the Malaysian Airlines (MAS) loses as an example. MAS spends RM450 million or thereabouts a year on its catering contracts. If, however, it tenders out the catering contracts instead of giving this negotiated-without-tender contact to a member of Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi’s family, MAS stands to save RM250 million. This RM250 million would go straight to the bottom-line and they would not need to sell off MAS’ assets or retrench its staff. That is just one example. There are many other incidences of wastage and overpriced services and supplies in MAS, that if arrested would result in huge savings for the national airline -- whereby the losses would be drastically reduced, or maybe even see it post a profit.

Right, back to TNB, who made the decision on the IPPs? Was it the Prime Minister, the Malaysian Cabinet, or the TNB Board of Directors? Who in the corridors of power have the say on matters involving the GLCs? According to the government, the Board of Directors make all the decisions, not the Prime Minister. The government also said that the decisions made are always Cabinet decisions and taken based on consensus. This is what the government said last month in a statement carried by all the mainstream and government-controlled media. Do you remember that statement which I believe was a reply made in Parliament, the highest body in the land?

So, if the Board of Directors and not the Prime Minister makes the decisions, then in what way is Mahathir guilty? And if the Cabinet makes the decisions based on consensus and not the Prime Minister, then in what way is Mahathir guilty? This is what the government said last month. And this is what I want to ask Mahathir on Saturday. Or was the government lying to us last month? And is this why after Ani Arope made that allegation against Mahathir no one in government took up the issue? Normally, if a ‘revelation’ of that nature is made against Mahathir, everyone would jump on the bandwagon and whack the old man. But in this particular instant everyone remained silent and did not pursue the matter any further. This appears very strange and it looks like the government would not like any further attention drawn to this issue. I am sure if they have enough dirt on Mahathir they would hang him upside down by his balls.

Okay, let us look at this whole thing from another aspect. TNB says it is suffering, and it is suffering all because of the high cost it has to pay the independent power producers for the guaranteed supply of electricity. This basically means that TNB must pay a fixed amount to the IPPs whether they use the electricity or not. But is this not the same terms TNB imposes on the bigger or commercial consumers? TNB charges high-rise building owners a fixed minimum amount even if they switch off all the lights in the building. Whether you use or do not use any electricity, you still have to pay that minimum amount to TNB, which is very exorbitant.

This means, while TNB must pay a minimum amount to the IPPs even if it does not take any electricity from them, they also charge the consumers the same. So who is paying, TNB or the high-rise building owners? Why should TNB then be losing money since they are passing the cost over to the high-rise building owners?

Now, since when did TNB start losing money? It appears that during the time Mahathir was Prime Minister, TNB was not losing money. It is only over the last three years since Mahathir retired that they started losing money. For 22 years during Mahathir’s tenure as Prime Minister, TNB made money and were not unhappy about the IPPs. Now it is the opposite story. How could they still make money when Mahathir was Prime Minister and only start losing money after Mahathir retires?

Do I sound like I am defending Mahathir? Far from it! Hang the old man if he is guilty. But if someone else is guilty instead, why hang Mahathir? I just want to know whether since Mahathir retired they have been fiddling with TNB. I have heard some horror stories and I am sure you have as well. I do not blame Abdullah for all the hanky-panky in TNB because, as the government said last month, the Prime Minister does not make the decisions involving GLCs. So Abdullah is not to blame. And therefore neither is Mahathir since he too was Prime Minister then, just like Abdullah is today. The government says that the Board of Directors make all the decisions. The government says that the Cabinet makes all the decisions based on consensus. The government says that the Prime Minister does not make these decisions. So who are these people then who are to blame?

I hear that coalmines are being purchased at highly inflated prices in grossly conflict of interest situations. I hear that negotiated-without-tender contracts are being awarded to the Prime Minister’s family members at grossly conflict of interest situations. I hear that TNB facilities including its helicopter are being used by the head honcho for his personal jaunts back to his hometown. Is this why TNB is losing money and not because of the IPPs?

Hey, I am just asking. I am sure many of you have also asked all these questions before me. So I am not the first to ask them. But where are the answers? Why give us a blanket response that it is all because of Mahathir and the IPPs? Mahathir equals IPPs equal losses. That is the picture being painted. But the Sepang IPP is not Mahathir. It is Jamaluddin Jarjis. Why is Mahathir being blamed then? I just don’t get it. But then maybe that is because I never went to Oxford so I am not as sharp as those who have.

--- KatoeyNewsNetwork
Sponsored Links