IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Online Web Forum > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Voice out your thoughts here!

Old 13-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Primmie
Durian - The King

Primrose Hill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK - cost and std of living and the rows

Outcry After Minister Suggests Giving Bonuses To Poor

12/02/2007
There's been a predictable outcry from industry after Peter Hain, the UK's Northern Ireland Secretary, told the Sunday Telegraph that he thought that City bonuses had created a 'grotesque' wealth gap, and suggested that bankers give two thirds of their wad to deprived communities.

Hain told the newspaper that 'there's a real problem of people on average incomes feeling there's a sort of super rich class right at the top. What is it ? Four thousand City workers receiving more than a million pounds each in bonuses. People don't feel that's proportionate'. The Minister then suggested that City workers 'give two-thirds of that £8.8bn (City bonus pot) and invest it in charity or invest it in regeneration schemes for unemployed kids'. Hain continued by threatening that 'in the interests of the City, particularly if they don't want to invite attacks for greater regulation or changes in taxation, if they don't (want to) get into that kind of arena, then they have to show a lead'.
And separately, Children's Minister Beverley Hughes has angered business leaders by suggesting that all employees should have the right to request flexible working.
What we really need, of course, is government ministers to have at least a bare minimum of business experience before they take office and comment on issues that affect industry and commerce. And the problem with this lot (our current government) is that they are extremely good at spending our money, but understand very little about how it is made. Don't these people realise that unless we remain competitive and enable top performers to earn market rates over here, jobs will be lost as positions relocate overseas. What, then, will happen to all that tax high-earners currently pay to the Treasury ? It will, of course, follow the jobs. But at least there will then be the level playing field our politicians seem to desire - we'll all be hard-up and poor.
It's no surprise that, as many of our Ministers seem to be living on another planet, this country continues to go to the dogs. We are already taxed heavily on our salary packages and pensions, pay national insurance, VAT, council tax, congestion charges and a raft of other stealth taxes. Where will it all end ? Perhaps the Government will be happy when we are all living in a chav-like society, doing little or no work and claiming as many benefits as we can. That will certainly be easier that slogging to work every day and trying to make an honest living. But from who will the Government then collect its tax revenues ?
Old 13-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Primmie
Durian - The King

Oh Harriet! - Your Views On Bonus Comments (Updated)

27/09/2006
UK government minister Harriet Harman said earlier that week that the size of some City bonuses were 'sick', and that something should be done about them in the name of equality.

'My message to those moaning bankers (the monied morons and Porsche driving chappies) who get those obscene bonuses:
What you are really saying is f..k the poor (and, in particular, f..k the working poor). Why don't you just be honest about it ? But, let's face it, you fellows couldn't even lie straight in bed!'.

'After 12 years in the City in investment banking I finally had enough with the way 'high-earners' are treated, and I relocated to the US. Of course, you pay your taxes over here just the same - but you're not treated as a pariah just because you work hard and are successful'.

'I'd love to hear what Gordon Brown has to say about her comments, especially as he is so keen to align himself with the success of the City'.
'I work at a top City firm. I get up at 4.30am each morning, to be in work for 6am. And I entertain clients most evenings. I received a net bonus of £12,000 last year. I already pay enough in stoppages to keep idiots like Harriet Harman in government'.
'Yes, I quite enjoyed myself through university - racking up thousands in debts - so that I could do well financially when I started my career. Now Harriet Harman wants to take even more of my hard-earned cash away, to give to God knows how many people who are fraudulently claiming Income Support'.
'At least the bonuses in the City are performance-related. Unlike top footballers, who get paid £50,000 - £120,000 a week, irrespective of whether they are in form or are even fit to play'.
'The high earners already pay enough in 'normal' and stealth taxes. At the same time this Government is encouraging free-loaders with offers of more and more benefits'.
'Harriet Harman seems to be forgetting that it's the people who live and work in the City who have made the funding for our successful 2012 Olympic bid possible. And also, didn't Gordon Brown have to redo his budget a few years back, as City bonuses that year were not going to be as big as expected ? That shows how important those tax revenues are. And Ms Harman wants to put them at risk by encouraging firms and employees to earn their pay elsewhere!'.
'It should be a pre-requisite that anyone standing as an MP should have experience in the private sector first. Then people like Harriet Harman might not make such stupid remarks'.
'The vast majority of bonuses are reasonable, not excessive. Some staff don't get anything at all, yet most work long unsociable hours. If Harriet gets her way there'll soon be tumble weed in Canary Wharf'.
'My advise to Harriet Harman is to 'shut up and get on with your job'. She should be glad that we've been here to fund her party's expensive ideas for the last decade. Labour's 10-year party will be over very soon though'.
'Isn't this the same person who slated public schools, then sent her own child to one ? Fancy a big bonus payout, Harriet ?'.
'Clearly Harriet has a long-term strategy in place - to destroy the most successful element of the British economy!'.
'How much do so-called 'politicans' get for making a pig's ear of the country, and running it like an episode of Dallas ?'.
'She's right - compare our salaries to teachers and nurses. It's way out of balance'.
'Finally someone has said what many have long thought. Investment banking bonuses are based on a pyramid system - only a very few at the very top make the big money'.

'We already pays for the chavs on the dole. Why should we be discriminated against for being successful ?'.
'Typical Labour politics of envy. They might like to refer to themselves as 'New Labour', but the're just as bad as they were in the days of Wilson and Callaghan'.
'They all want kids to do well at school, get a good degree, a good job or skill. Then, when folks become successful, they just want to rip us off!'.
'Harriet Harman needs to engage her brain before opening her mouth. It seems that anyone who is ambitious to do well in Britain is classed as 'greedy' by both Labour and the Lib Dems. Other societies encourage success - it's about time ours did!'.
'The average bonus just helps most of us keep our heads above water. There's not much left after tax, national insurance, council tax, congestion charges, parking fees, VAT and that big mortgage on those expensive London houses'.
'Bring back Maggie Thatcher!'.
'Well done Harriet Harman. Let's cap bonuses - better still, why not tax them at 98% ? Either way, we will see large parts of our world-class financial services industry heads overseas, and the brain drain will clearly result in reduced tax revenues. If Harriet really wants to make an issue out of something, why doesn't she call for an enquiry into why MPs are to receive index-linked pensions at the public expense - and at a time when Britain's position as a leading nation in corporate pension provision has been largely eradicted, not least because of government legislation'.
'I read a comment that Harman was 'stuck in 1983'. More like 1883. She should get real, and appreciate that the City drives the UK economy, and bonuses are a huge reason why quality people are attracted to work here'.
'Dappy old bird!'
Old 13-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Primmie
Durian - The King

Big Bonuses - A Banker's View

20/12/2006
'I work in a fairly senior role at a firm in the City, and find this feeding frenzy surrounding $100m bonuses obscene - and depressing.

Every year we are working harder and ever longer, and yet most of us still only get a bonus which is but a fraction of our base salary. Everyone I know works in a climate of fear of losing their job, and feels pressured to put in even more effort.
Those fortunate few who get those mega-bonuses help create an aggressive culture where your best is never enough, and provide the illusion that all bankers live in Chelsea penthouses (the reality is that most of us struggle to buy a place in Zone 2).
This big bonus lark has surely gone far enough. I know where I work more staff are unhappy about their bonuses this year than ever before'.
Other reader comments:
'The reason most of us come to work in the City in the first place is to work in a meritocratic environment where performance will be rewarded regardless of race, age, family background, etc. Bring on those big bonuses!'.
'If you underperform so much that you fear losing your job, then you shouldn't expect a bonus anyway!'.
Old 13-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Primmie
Durian - The King

Uncle, does this gives you an insight into the Financial sector working environment that your son & his gf faces and the pressure.
Old 13-02-2007, 06:16 PM
The Legend aka Racist Mod
Durian - The King

RawFlesh is an unknown quantity at this point

News to me - Uncle has son in UK

WHY so SERIOUS?
Old 13-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Primmie
Durian - The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawFlesh
News to me - Uncle has son in UK

Aiyoo, RF, Uncle did say it in one of the other threads, but I have forgotten which one, hence why I started on another. You must have skimmed read
Old 13-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Oldtimer is an unknown quantity at this point

RF,
The last cruise that UC had, he ended the trip with visiting his son in London. He also mentioned that during their family vacation at the Mansion Hideout.
OT
Old 14-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Durian - The King

kris is an unknown quantity at this point

UC mentioned abt his son, Felix, much earlier...when the 'black-out in London' occurred I think.
Or was it the terrorist attack on the 'tube'?

Last edited by kris : 14-02-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 14-02-2007, 11:59 AM
The Legend aka Racist Mod
Durian - The King

RawFlesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose Hill
Aiyoo, RF, Uncle did say it in one of the other threads, but I have forgotten which one, hence why I started on another. You must have skimmed read
Yea, I've been caught

WHY so SERIOUS?
Old 14-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Oldtimer is an unknown quantity at this point

PH,
Unfortunately, many people in general fail or ignore to realize that those individuals with the top earnings also tend to be the entrepreneurs, who not only pay the most in taxes, but also the ones that generate jobs. When a govt. becomes too anti-business, they could easily pick up and leave for places that welcome them. In the end, everyone loses.
The best way to encourage the rich to give towards charities are simply providing them the tax incentives with their donations.
OT
Sponsored Links