IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Online Web Forum > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Voice out your thoughts here!

Old 10-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Durian - The King

Location: middle of tropics, south of nort pole, north of south pole
K-Fanz is off the scale
anyone got any antique worth for display?
North
Wednesday November 9, 2005

Ipoh’s colourful past to go on show

By MAZNI MUSTAFA

IPOH’s colourful past from the time it started as a mere cluster of dwellings by the Kinta River in the 1870s will be showcased in a one-month exhibition in January.

The exhibition, themed “The Story of Ipoh”, is organised by Ipoh World Sdn Bhd and Perak Museum. To be sponsored by the Kinta Properties Group, it will be held at the museum.

Ipoh World chairman Datuk Dr Abdullah Fadzil Che Wan said the exhibition would be a dynamic, creative showcase of pictures, documents, artefacts and exhibits dating back to the 1870s.

“The story of Ipoh will be told through the transport mode of each period and take visitors back more than 100 years of history.

“It is going to be a thrilling journey of Ipoh’s colourful past through the different eras, from the days of sampans and elephants, to bullock carts and rickshaws,” he told a recent press conference in Ipoh.

Anderson(left)showing some of the artefacts that belong to him.With him are Dr Abdullah Fadzil and Nor Janati.
Also present were Perak Museum director Nor Janati Ibrahim, Ipoh World consultant Commander (Rtd) Ian Anderson RN and Kinta Pro- perties chief executive officer Dr Tan Chin Yong.

Dr Abdullah called on indivi-duals with artefacts or relics dated between the 1870s and 1960s to come forward to help trace the history of Ipoh.

“It can be anything from your ancestors’ heirloom such as ear rings, hair clasps, trinkets, beaded slippers to antique vehicles like scooters or bicycles.

“We also need old photographs pertaining to tin mining, rubber planting or transportation; or transport documents such as passports, air, bus or train tickets; or even old clothes,” he said.

Anderson, one of those who mooted the idea for the exhibition, said he was specifically looking for old photographs on two early settlements in Ipoh.

“From my studies, I have learned there were only 20 people who lived by the Kinta River in the 1870s and they named the settlement as Epau in Mandarin.

“Another settlement was Kam-pung Paloh which I believe was set up by the Malays,” he said.

Other old photographs that he said he was looking for were on two men who held story telling sessions in the evenings at their clan house in Jalan Panglima at the old town in Ipoh in 1945.

Anderson, a Scottish married to a local, has a deep interest in the heritage of Ipoh.

He has written books about Ipoh on subjects such as the traditional laundry business in Silibin and Datuk Tajuddin Ali who is one the early successful Malay busi-nessmen.

Those who have interesting artefacts or relics from Ipoh’s past to lend to the exhibition should contact Anderson at 012-2022509 or email him at ian.Anderson@ipohworld.org.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...1905&sec=North