IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Auto World > Tips on Safe Driving & Car Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tips on Safe Driving & Car Maintenance Discuss or share information about safe drving & car maintenance

Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune
Default Keeping to speed limit isn't hogging

Keeping to speed limit isn’t hogging

I WISH to respond to the letter “We need action on road hogging” (The Star, Sept 4).

Although I agree with the writer that drivers who are driving below the speed limit should technically keep to the left lane, what about those like me who are already driving at the limit of 110kmh or even 120kmh on the NS Expressway?

Everytime, almost without fail, men drivers and I mean men drivers would flash their lights at me if I drive on the right lane just because they want to overtake me - at more than 120kmh. Even bus and lorry drivers do that!

Is it wrong for me to be driving on the right lane at the speed of 110km or 120km? IIs it fair for me to keep on moving from right to left to allow those who drive way beyond the speed limit to overtake, and then move back to the right because those driving on the left are driving much slower?

I must give due respect to those men drivers who show good road manners and are considerate.

EVELYN YEE,

Penang.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Durian - The King

Diana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortune
Keeping to speed limit isn’t hogging

I WISH to respond to the letter “We need action on road hogging” (The Star, Sept 4).

Although I agree with the writer that drivers who are driving below the speed limit should technically keep to the left lane, what about those like me who are already driving at the limit of 110kmh or even 120kmh on the NS Expressway?

Everytime, almost without fail, men drivers and I mean men drivers would flash their lights at me if I drive on the right lane just because they want to overtake me - at more than 120kmh. Even bus and lorry drivers do that!

Is it wrong for me to be driving on the right lane at the speed of 110km or 120km? IIs it fair for me to keep on moving from right to left to allow those who drive way beyond the speed limit to overtake, and then move back to the right because those driving on the left are driving much slower?

I must give due respect to those men drivers who show good road manners and are considerate.

EVELYN YEE,

Penang.

Although I don't drive in Malaysia, I do believe that is hogging. One should always drive on the left unless overtaking. If you have overtaken a vehicle on the right, than you should move to the left. If the car in front of you is slow then, overtake and move to the left. If the vehicle in front of you is maintaining the same speed as you then just follow the flow of traffic. Unless you plan to turn right. You do not have to be the one in front always. Just because you are travelling at the allowable speed, ie 110kmh or 120kmh you can stay on the right lane. It is common courtesy to move to the left as soon as you have overtaken somebody.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Honeydew

UncleSam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana
Although I don't drive in Malaysia, I do believe that is hogging. One should always drive on the left unless overtaking. If you have overtaken a vehicle on the right, than you should move to the left. If the car in front of you is slow then, overtake and move to the left. If the vehicle in front of you is maintaining the same speed as you then just follow the flow of traffic. Unless you plan to turn right. You do not have to be the one in front always. Just because you are travelling at the allowable speed, ie 110kmh or 120kmh you can stay on the right lane. It is common courtesy to move to the left as soon as you have overtaken somebody.

Just my humble opinion.

This is the problem of having 2 lane "expressway" that is shared with heavy transportation like 16 wheels containers, 12 wheels lorries, buses, vans, etc.. and having paid hefty tools at that. Not to mentione that majority of the stretch are unlighted. It should have been built at least 3 if not 4 lanes to accommodate the volume and speed for expressway.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Oldtimer is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with Diana.
IMHO, the only time you stay in the fast lane is where there is no vehicle behind you.
Not only is this a common sense courtesy, it is also much safer for you to let a fast approaching vehicle behind you to pass/overtake you. Even if that car is going at twice the speed limit and breaking all the traffic rules, so be it. Let him/her chooses his/her own "destiny"!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Not a morning person.
Honeydew

dbx is on a distinguished road

I agree with Diana & OT.

The basic rule of driving is always to keep left unless overtaking, irrespective of if you are going at the speed limit or beyond. It is safer. Besides, going at 90km/h vs 110km/h only delays your arrival at your destination by at most 15 mins. However, going too fast might give rise to a DOA.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Oldtimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

dbx,
I do admit that I often speed, but it all depends on the road & weather conditions, traffic and whether I have passengers with me.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Uncle show you goldfish..
Mangosteen - The Queen

seantang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVELYN YEE
what about those like me who are already driving at the limit of 110kmh or even 120kmh on the NS Expressway?

Is it wrong for me to be driving on the right lane at the speed of 110km or 120km?
How can you be sure you are driving at 110kmh?

1. Speedometers are notoriously inaccurate. A +/-10% or 15% is not uncommon. It's the norm actually.

2. For the older analogue speedometers, the needle is situated some distance above the face. Looking at the speedometer at an angle (to the right or left of it), as opposed to looking from directly in front, will yield large +/- readings. The larger the angle, the larger the discrepancy.

Quote:
Is it fair for me to keep on moving from right to left to allow those who drive way beyond the speed limit to overtake, and then move back to the right because those driving on the left are driving much slower?
On the same token, is it fair for you to play the role of traffic police and impose the speed limit on all vehicles behind you based on your (most probably inaccurate) speedometer reading and inadequate driving proficiency (if giving way poses a technical issue for you)?

1. You are not a traffic policeman. You have no right to stop others from speeding if they wish to. It is also dangerous and foolish for you to do so.

2. You cannot know for sure if they are speeding. You do not have the appropriate tools and expertise to make that judgement.

Quote:
First you need to respect the right of way of other road users and the fact that you are not entitled to slow down ALL OTHER TRAFFIC BEHIND YOU.

At the end of the day, what is it with the phrase "Keep Left When Not Overtaking" that is so difficult to understand?

Last edited by seantang : 07-09-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:42 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

Here is a reply in the paper.

Road hoggers must be fair to others

I WISH to respond to the letter “Keeping to speed limit isn’t hogging” (The Star, Sept 6).

In actual fact, it is still road hogging as driving at the speed limit or even slightly over it does not give you the right to be in the right lane.

The simple rule is if there is someone faster than you, give way and let him or her through.

While I don’t condone speeding, road hogging (at whatever speed) creates a very unfavourable situation while driving on the highways.

People start tailgating then start overtaking on the left lanes. So stick to the simple rule I stated above.

Don’t try to enforce the speed limit on others, it is not your job.

ORDINARY JOE,
Kuala Lumpur.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:12 PM
...my eyes are watching!!
Durian - The King

hop hop is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to hop hop

I feel safe with Diana. If only every female driver behaves like her (spoken by a male chauvinistic pig ...oink oink!!).

Last edited by hop hop : 07-09-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
fortune
Durian - The King

WITH responses like “Road hoggers must be fair to others” (The Star, Sept 7), it is no wonder that Malaysia has one of the highest accident rates in the world.

It is as if people who abide by the law should make way for those who flaunt it, otherwise, the threat of harassment awaits you.

In a genuine case of an emergency, flashing your headlights would be sufficient to overtake a car instead of endangering others by tailgating.

Since enforcement is poor, these law breakers have a field day on the road. Courteous drivers are now a rare breed.

ORDINARY TOO,
Petaling Jaya.
Sponsored Links