IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Sports > Football
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Football Eat, drink, sleep Football. For those who are obsessed with the ball.

Old 22-11-2011, 12:11 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune
Default M'sia won

Indonesia may have captured 170 gold medals in the Sea Games but Malaysia denied the host the one it craved the most by winning the football final at the Gelora Bung Karno stadium in Jakarta yesterday.

The brave Young Tigers withstood tremendous pressure from their opponents and the partisan 100,000 emotional fans in the stadium to come from behind, force extra time
and then win the ensuing penalty shoot-out 4-3 after the match ended 1-1.

Amid an electrifying and tense atmosphere which had the populations of both countries glued to their television sets, Ong Kim Swee’s boys walked tall after having faced many hostile situations since arriving in Jakarta two weeks ago.

In an ominous sign of what was going to be a long night for the Under-23 Malaysian team, their trip to the stadium was delayed by 40 minutes because of hostile fans along the way.

Many fans, who were in a rage after failing to get tickets, had set fire to ticket booths, worsening the situation.

The Malaysian team had opted not to take the Barracuda armoured vehicles, deciding to brave the journey to the stadium in a bus.

It took character to do that and the Malaysians showed they had an ample supply of that when they fought back despite seeing Indonesia taking the lead in the sixth minute.

They didn’t give up and kept pressing for the equaliser, even as the jeers from the stands grew louder.

And when it came to the penalty shoot-out, Malaysia proved they had nerves of steel, compared with the Indonesians who missed two of their attempts.

On the other hand, goalkeeper Kharul Fahmi epitomised the courage of the Young Tigers with his heroics in the penalty shoot-out while skipper Baddrol Bakthiar scored the
winner.

The Malaysian team’s tigerish performance was indeed a true manisfestation of the Malaysia Boleh spirit.

Malaysia, who started the Sea Games campaign with a tame 0-0 draw against Singapore, managed to defend the gold it won in 2009 in Laos.

Read more: Tiger cubs roar - Top News - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/top-news/tiger-cubs-roar-1.9209#ixzz1eO8hIU3B
Sponsored Links
Old 22-11-2011, 12:13 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune

Two fans died

JAKARTA: Two Indonesian fans died in a stampede here last night at the SEA Games football final against Malaysia, according to a report citing a paramedic.

“When we found the victims, they were already dead,” paramedic Abdul Majid told Detik.com news portal outside the stadium.

The two men wearing Indonesian red-and-white football team T-shirts were taken to hospital at 8.30pm, around 90 minutes after the stampede broke out.

“As we were entering the stadium, the crowd pushed each other to make their way forward,” Helmi, brother of one of the victims, told AFP.

“My brother was pushed away from me and we were separated. I then heard that some people had fallen and that people had died. I rushed to check and found my brother dead.”

The identity of the second victim was unknown.

Local media reported that several other spectators had been taken to hospital, including a nine-year-old boy who had fallen into a coma.

Deadly stampedes at major sporting, music and religious events are common in Indo­nesia.Violence at football games is also common, with disgruntled fans often throwing dangerous items onto the field after matches.

Earlier yesterday, two men were arrested for burning down a ticket booth at the stadium upon learning the match had sold out, media reported. — AFP
Sponsored Links