IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > DIGITAL GADGETS > PDAs - Personal Digital Assistants
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PDAs - Personal Digital Assistants Discussions about the models, features, prices & etc

Old 18-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Uncle show you goldfish..
Mangosteen - The Queen

seantang is on a distinguished road
Default HTC Touch - A touch of heaven in 112gms

HTC Touch - A touch of heaven in 112gms

I am absolutely sold on the HTC Touch. After work today, I put my rush order in with my mobile service provider. I'm getting it at S$448 (RM1,009) by re-contracting my mobile service for another 2 years and cashing in my loyalty voucher.

Not a bad deal since I'm currently paying off-contract, S$29 a month for 80 free minutes of local calls and 100 free local sms (for paying using GIRO). Under the new contract, I'll be accessing promotional rates by paying the same $29 each month, but getting either (A) 160 free minutes or (B) 100 free local minutes + 500 free local SMS. The 100 free local SMS for GIRO payment remains.

The HTC Touch retails at S$798 at Singapore's telcos and electronics chain stores like Harvey Norman, Courts and Challenger. Apparently there's an independent retailer in Funan IT Mall selling it for S$739. So, I'm getting it at a S$350 discount. The Touch retails in Malaysia at RM2099 (S$933).

But why? Why a Windows Mobile 6 (WM6) machine when Microsoft has faithfully ported the dreaded blue screen of death from their desktop OS to pocket PCs (PPC)? Why take a risk on a PPC that is known to (a) hang regularly, (b) comes with a regular stylus because the TouchFLO interface unceremoniously dumps you back into the user-unfriendly WM6 environment each time you go beyond the customised finger-friendly launch-screens and (c) needs to be soft-rebooted to reconnect after momentarily losing the cellular signal? (See PPC-SG forums)

And why when the Touch uses a Texas Instruments OMAP processor which runs at a piddling 200MHz? And to drive a power-hungry OS like WM6?

That's like using a rubbish engine like Proton's CAMPRO to drive a heavy SUV.

Why not the Nokia N95 or Apple iPhone (both of which I have raved about)?

Well... all the N95 reviews I've read since it was launched confirm that the N95's battery will not last a single day even with a full charge and reasonable use. The N95's the perfect all-rounder, but only if you don't happen to use it very much.

And the iPhone's simply not here yet. And it won't be until the middle of next year. Even then, there's a great possibility that it'll be SIM-locked to a service provider, and of course the proprietry iTunes service. And its battery, it self destructs after 300-400 charges (like the iPod's apparently). And you have to ship the whole damn phone back to Apple (with all your pirated programs and dirty pictures of your girlfriend) to get it replaced. Best of all, Apple will charge you US$85 for this privilege. Thanks, but no thanks.

Most importantly, I'm just infatuated by the Touch's primal sexiness. The sheer slimness of the 13.9mm, keypad-less, flush display casing and of course, the pocket-sympathising 112gm kerb weight. It's like it was made to be caressed. When the salesgirl put it in my hand, I knew I had to have her... (the Touch, but the sales chick wasn't bad either).

With that kind of weight, slimness and size... WIFI and full internet browser that is perfectly designed for off-the-cuff impromptu coffee shop surfing (without having to lug heavy laptops all over the place like a goddamn nerd, just in case there's free WIFI somewhere), decent phone, universally acknowledged friggin loud ringtone (excellent when you're always missing calls in noisy public transport and crowded malls) and a myriad of WM6 3rd party applications... it's pretty damn near the holy grail. I just wish it came with a 5 megapixel camera with Xenon flash and Carl Zeiss lens.

More links:
CoolSmartPhones has a long, comprehensive review with lots of youtubes;
PCPro has a unique long term review about how it is to live with the Touch (weeks 1, 2 and 3);
MSMobiles has scanned the Read-Me-First user manual; and of course
www.htctouch.com

And here's the HTC Touch television ad that got me hooked in the first place. I can't get that damn tune out of my head and it won't let me stop humming, dammit!

By seantang - 7/17/2007 10:45:00 PM 0 comments Links to this post
Labels: Gadgets and Misc Shit, Reviews - Cars Gadgets Whatever

Last edited by seantang : 18-07-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 18-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Primmie
Durian - The King

Primrose Hill is an unknown quantity at this point

ST, are you using it as a mobile phone or is it connected to your work Outlook/lotus notes (lono)
Old 18-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

PH, mainly as a mobile phone and WIFI surfing. With a larger memory card, maybe abit of video and MP3 as well.

No access to company email apart from the company laptops. Security and such.
Old 18-07-2007, 04:32 PM
The Legend aka Racist Mod
Durian - The King

RawFlesh is an unknown quantity at this point

PLUS u DONT want such easy access urself... Otherwise, boss expects u to check ur email 24/7, then dielor

WHY so SERIOUS?
Old 18-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawFlesh
PLUS u DONT want such easy access urself... Otherwise, boss expects u to check ur email 24/7, then dielor
Yeah, that's true. Having mobile, always-on access to company email is like tying a noose around your own neck.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:28 PM
The Legend aka Racist Mod
Durian - The King

RawFlesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, dat's why i'm not happy wen company issues laptops to us.... then give us AT&T phone card also So means, I can call them anytime n wont have to pay for the overseas calls

WHY so SERIOUS?
Old 18-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

Just picked up the Touch after work this evening. WM6 is not a huge learning curve if you're familiar with XP. But it is damn quirky though. I still can't figure out why my caller ID is not cross referencing the number calling in to my SIM card contacts. So, when people call, it only displays the number, not the name in my SIM card entry.
Old 18-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Durian - The King

Location: middle of tropics, south of nort pole, north of south pole
K-Fanz is off the scale

i can vouch that N95 really eat lot of battery power...just play some song and by mid day your battery bar will be around mid level

but on plus side, the mp4 for it 5 mp camera really handy to shot some videos and picture( u can even make a short movies from this camera, with its clarity and so on)
Old 19-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Primmie
Durian - The King

Primrose Hill is an unknown quantity at this point

How's your new phone, ST?
Old 20-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

l'm posting this with the Touch. My first Pda action on the net ever

But the scripted wysiwyg reply boxes don't work too well.
Sponsored Links