IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Gossip... > Minum Kopi, Makan Pau
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Minum Kopi, Makan Pau Bo Bek.. Bo Bek.. Come on, Everybody! Lets Gossip here...

Old 13-11-2005, 02:45 AM
Mangosteen - The Queen

foon is off the scale
Took this shot in a lavender farm.

Sponsored Links
Old 14-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Pomelo

EdDiE is off the scale
H2,

If you plan to drive around Oz, I think it could easily takes you between 2-3 months to do so. Considering if you are going to stop at some little town for a nite or two. But be prepared to not shower, stay in tents, and do nature calls with the roos (not Rooster). You'll probably need a reliable LC or similar with extra fuel and spares. The logistic is crazy, but at the end of the day, you should always be financially sufficient. Let me know too - I might do the navigating. Oooh oooh ... need a good GPS and satellite phone for emergencies (and they are really costly).

Foon,

I did my studies in earth sciences (ie. geology and geophysics) ... that involves alot of field mapping (rock structurals and formations) courses. It's kinda good as most of these courses, the expenses are bourne by the uni, or with just a very minimal fees (mainly for entertainment - beers). The one I did for 6 weeks up north of WA was completely covered by the uni - vehicle, fuel, food, etc. and the experience is price-less.

So, H2 and Foon - are we on for OZ ??? heh ...
Old 14-11-2005, 09:14 AM
...my eyes are watching!!
Durian - The King

hop hop is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to hop hop
Eddie,
That is really positive and I love it. I have friends who have done it, and they managed o.k. 3 to 4 months would be about right. Your knowledge of rock formation, soil, etc could be useful when travelling through the outback. No problem with GPS because they are pretty affordable nowadays, but satellite phones, I know nothing about this stuff.

errr....don't know about Foonie, because I think she's female...*scratching my head*. If Foonie is a 'she', than she probably wouldn't want to rough it out with two guys in tents, and having to piss in the bush everytime she wants to go to the toilet.
Old 14-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Pomelo

EdDiE is off the scale
H2,

Cool - I have a GPS at my office and they are faily simple to use - usually they are de-tune to approx 8-10 meter (military reason) but at time, they are spot on to 3 meters. I had one position marked once with a GPS and had a surveyor out there, and he shot at the exact location (with 1 meter). About RM1000 you can get a good GPS. Sat-phone on the other hand are more expensive and the subscription are hefty. Alternative is run CB-radio with LR, self-tuning antenna and back-up with EPERP - it's a device that transmit an emergency single at a designated rescue frequency - but don't play play, helicopter jet-fuel and emergency personnel charges are no play either

About Foon, I think Foon's a lady yea?? Hehe .. this is so weird (Sorry Foon, if I have offended). But then again, I have known females which are really sporting and at times tougher than alot of guys. Though we (men) should always understand to make way for "them" at times. Rule book for a SNAG
Old 14-11-2005, 10:31 AM
...my eyes are watching!!
Durian - The King

hop hop is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to hop hop
Ed,
If foonie doesn't mind, I don't mind either. SNAG eh?! Afraid I'm not new age...rather old fashion sometimes. BTW, this won't happen for while yet, like I said maybe 3 to 4 yrs from now. Have a few things to finish off before going off for 4 months of straight. What do you think? We can still keep in touch, maybe 4yrs older and wiser.
Old 14-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Pomelo

EdDiE is off the scale
H2,

Well, I don't know what age frame you are in - I presume you are in your early years.

I am Go, of course, lets hope I won't ended getting married and getting tied down with work ... or worse, kids ....

But 4 years is awhile but if the timing is good, thas probably when I just about to complete this project in Ipoh. That should give me time off the company or leave completely to invest on my own ...
Old 14-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Mangosteen - The Queen

foon is off the scale
There could be a lot of changes in 3-4 years time, we might have other priorities in life or due to some other reasons we might be unable to go for this kind of adventure anymore. Anyway, do keep me posted and let's see whether this plan works out or otherwise in 3-4 years time. As at to date, I remain supportive to this plan.
Old 14-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Pomelo

EdDiE is off the scale
If it doesn't work out, at least it was fun just talking and planning about it and having this thread going, hehe [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 14-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Durian - The King

kris is an unknown quantity at this point
Chances are..in 3-4 years time, Foonie will be happily married and settled down with kids. How to join you guys then?
Old 14-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

foon is off the scale
Err...kris, I was thinking if that happens on H2, Eddie or myself, may be we can structure the trip to cater for families then.
Sponsored Links