IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Development in Perak > Development in Perak
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Mangosteen - The Queen

foon is off the scale

Plagiarism?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 AM
We must prevail.....
Durian - The King

Ipohite39 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
Yup, and they'll be building 5 more of such eyesores across KintaRiver. Someone should put a stop to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose Hill
That's such .............. Can't anyone petition it to be demolished?

Why pour cold water on someone's baby when they only 1/6 of the work is completed?

At least, they are doing something to bring up Ipoh. So, let them try. Better than being a 大只讲 . Besides DBI and the State Govt have probably given their green light all the way.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Durian - The King

kris is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not a matter of just 'taruhing' 6 ugly steel structures across the river and call them by some famous names. The mentality that 'what other people have, we have them in Ipoh also' (albeit pariah replicas!).

Other places have done it before - building replicas of world-famous structures.

I'm not against copying famous landmarks from elsewhere but it has to be done tastefully lah. Copy also must copy in style mah. If you can't even do a decent job copying other people's ideas, that's really pathetic isn't it? Might as well scrap the idea since the river looks nicer without such eyesores, right?

Last edited by kris : 11-07-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM
We must prevail.....
Durian - The King

Kris,

Save your judgement until we see the rest of their work. I would say that the bridges are useful as pedestrian crossings to cut short the walking time from old town to new town. Besides no ships or high mast sampans now ply the Kinta River.

Copycat mentality? Hey, this is Bolehland, mah. Everything from climbing Mount Everest to putting a man in space is copycat stuff. So, what else is new?

Besides, DBI won't give a shit unless u prove that the 6 structures pose a danger or threat to anyone. (Sigh!), to call them eyesores is a bit premature. 10 years down the line and they dun repaint the damn thing, that'll be an eyesore. Many people (but not me) think Waller Court is an eyesore anyway. Let's just hope this doesn't turn out to be a future bad maintanence burden. Since we will have 6, we can still use the other 5 if one is rusted out.
Old 22-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Artistic Geek
Watermelon

sleekk is on a distinguished road

It seems that Morubina has some trouble with JPS (Jabatan Pengairan dan Saliran) because of the first bridge.

While DBI can approve the bridges, anything that has to do with any river or canal must be consulted with and approved by JPS, which was not done. This is to ensure that rivers and canals are not affected in any way, that no damage was caused to their banks that could result in floods.

It also seems that there is a plan to raise the water level of the river on that stretch but JPS was not told of it. Perhaps Morubina thought that they had DBI and the State on their side and forgot that JPS is a Federal agency.
Old 22-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Mangosteen - The Queen

foon is off the scale

Does it mean that the project for the bridges would be halted? Guess it is just a minor issue, can be resolved amicably.
Old 23-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Artistic Geek
Watermelon

sleekk is on a distinguished road

If there is a plan to raise the water level then it is a big issue. An Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) may have to be undertaken to find out how the matter will affect the river further upstream, not just that stretch.

If the first bridge is anything to go by, I would rather not have the other 5 bridges. The "Golden Gate Bridge" looks like some hollow metal tubings and metal plates put togther. It is slip-shod work and too narrow for two persons to pass without turning sideways. Just build some plain pedestrian bridges across the river will do.
Old 23-07-2007, 01:21 PM
We must prevail.....
Durian - The King

The mini golden gate bridge probably costed above RM300k to build. If they did all that before getting approval from JPS, then it's a no-brainer activity. Raising river water level? Doesn't that increase the risk of flood in areas like Waller court, Dang, that sounds silly doesn't it? What the heck do we want to raise the water river level for? In fact we should dredge the river more. If I am not wrong, currently, the St Michael's primary school's car park is much lower than the river bank.
Old 23-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Durian - The King

kris is an unknown quantity at this point

RM300K for that bridge? Don't think it cost that much la, my estimate is RM100K+. RM300K is enough to build a proper bridge for vehicles to go through wor.

Yea, the main rivers and the reserves such as Kinta and Pinji and the reserve land on both sides are under the jurisdiction of JPS, the Drainage and Irrigation department which is more concerned with the civil engineering aspects as the prevention of floods.

I'd say the pedestrian bridge is more to do with landscaping and beautification of the city which should come under the MBI Landscaping Dept. There is always the problem of coordination between the various gomen departments and statutory bodies. Common scenario - after the developers have paved the roads, the TNB or Telekom would come around and dig up the roads to lay the cables and does a slipshod patching up work.

Agree with sleek, if they can't build a decent replica of a famous landmark(judging from the first bridge built), they might as well built something simple, unpretentious, unobtrusive but functional, a bridge wide enough for two persons to walk through comfortably.
Old 23-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Durian - The King

forum_admin has disabled reputation
Lightbulb Morubina Official Web Site

Hi, All,

You may visit the Official Web site of the developer at Morubina.

My company only designed the Kinta Riverfront project. Other parts of the web site were done by another web design company.