IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > World Events > Travel
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Travel Discussions about Travels around the World

Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Durian - The King

Uncle-Cle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Uncle-Cle

CM,

Yes, I will post Keningau photos after Tambunan and then to Tenom photos, Beaufort photos & last Papar photos.

Just stay tune
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Simple Minded Fellow
Durian - The King

Oldtimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

UC,
Thank you once again for the virtual tour. Please keep the photos coming.
OT
Old 01-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Primmie
Durian - The King

Primrose Hill is an unknown quantity at this point

Snap, exactly CM. Took the words right out of my mouth. Sabah isn't the same anymore, Tenom, Tuaran, Sandakan. It used to have potholes, not so many cars on the road, etc. Sabah used to have a certain charm about it, well, at least it has for me. Now it is a race to become more and more like KL and West M'sia and KK is over run with Kancils.

Beufort and Papar is pretty, UC, did you take those pre-war trains, it was quite an exprience.
Costal Road used to be peacefulish and now it has traffic jams galore. Even where I used to sit in the evenings to watch sun set, that's all gone now
Old 01-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Mangosteen - The Queen

foon is off the scale

UC, thx for sharing the photos.

I've never been to that part of Malaysia before. Is it still worth a visit? From the photos, it looks pretty good for a short break.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Durian - The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer
UC,
Thank you once again for the virtual tour. Please keep the photos coming.
OT

You are welcome, OT.

Quote:
Primrose HillSnap, exactly CM. Took the words right out of my mouth. Sabah isn't the same anymore, Tenom, Tuaran, Sandakan. It used to have potholes, not so many cars on the road, etc. Sabah used to have a certain charm about it, well, at least it has for me. Now it is a race to become more and more like KL and West M'sia and KK is over run with Kancils.

Beufort and Papar is pretty, UC, did you take those pre-war trains, it was quite an exprience.
Costal Road used to be peacefulish and now it has traffic jams galore. Even where I used to sit in the evenings to watch sun set, that's all gone now

PH,
No, we did not take the diesel train, takes up too much time. Instead we took our sweet time to drive using KK/Tenom Highway to Tenom and then back to KK using Tenom/Kimanis Highway left turn to Beaufort and then to KK vide Papar. Oh yes, there is still plenty of space to see the sunset.

Quote:
foonUC, thx for sharing the photos.

I've never been to that part of Malaysia before. Is it still worth a visit? From the photos, it looks pretty good for a short break.

Foon,

Yes, it is worth a visit. Sabah is call Land Below The Wind.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Durian - The King

Before you arrive at Tambunan, there is this SMK which was not there the last time I passed thro' there abt 9 yrs ago.

SMK Tambunan.

Teachers Flats/Quarters

Old 01-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Durian - The King

Tambunan

Tambunan is a town located in Interior Division of Sabah, east Malaysia on the island of Borneo.

It's population was estimated to be around 19,760 in 1991, almost entirely Dusun. It is about 81 kilometers from Kota Kinabalu, and is located in a
pleasant, Shangri-La setting at an altitude of around 1000 meters, in the Crocker Range. The town is surrounded by terraced padi fields and 70 picturesque villages.

The dense forests of bamboo around Tambunan are a legacy of the British colonial period, during which time an edict stated that 20 bamboo sprouts had to be planted for every bamboo cut.

East of Tambunan is Sabah's second highest mountain, Trus Madi (2642 meters).

Just outside town is a monument to the Bajau hero Mat Salleh, who led a rebellion against the British North Borneo Company in the late 19th century. His agreement to a truce with the British so outraged his own people that he was forced to flee to Tambunan, where he was eventually besieged and killed.

Near the Mat Salleh's fort is the Tun Datu Mustapha Memorial the famous Sabah statesmen.

Tambunan is noted for the quality of its Lihing and Tapai, or rice wine.

Outside of Tambunan is the Tambunan Rafflesia Reserve, devoted to the world's largest flower, the rafflesia.

A Hotel there.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Durian - The King

Traffic in KK/Tambunan Highway next to the Road House

Traffic in the town centre of Tambunan

Last edited by Uncle-Cle : 01-05-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Durian - The King

Tambunan landmarks

Tambunan Shops

Old 02-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Durian - The King

keningau

The name Keningau is derived from that of the Javanese cinnamon tree (Cinnamomun burmannii) which is abudant in the area. The tree is also known as 'Kayu Manis' in Malay and had also been referred to as the 'king of spice' . The bark of this tree was collected by The North Borneo English Company (Syarikat Inggeris Borneo Utara) to be sold as spice.

Keningau used to be one of the most important administration centres of the British in the early 1900s. The Japanese also made use of Keningau as one of its government's centres during their occupation of Sabah.

The village of Nuntunan in Apin-Apin was known as "44" during British rule. This indicated its distance of 44 miles from Tenom, another British administration centre. Nuntunan was also known as "Office", because the British had its office by the Sg Apin-Apin riverbank, which was later taken over by the Japanese. When the British returned after the Japanese surrender, the remaining Japanese soldiers surrendered at Nuntunan. The locals still believe that the Japanese soldiers had hidden some treasures around the village before their retreat, although this claim has never been properly investigated.

Nuntunan, a particularly inaccessible locale, is believed to be the place where the Japanese soldiers hid their shotguns or even their gold treasures.

Sponsored Links