IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Food Court > Indian Cuisine
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18-06-2011, 04:56 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune
Default Best kacang putih in M'sia

The village that 'kacang putih' built

2011/06/17
By S. Ista Kyra

Fried beans and flavoured nuts.

L. Shangkar placing bags of ‘kacang putih’ onto racks at his home-cum-shop.

IPOH: Before branded potato chips and other snacks lined the shelves of supermarkets, the humble kacang putih was every Malaysian's favourite snack. It was an assortment of fried peanuts, salted tapioca chips or spicy curry muruku.

The origins of the snack is India before arriving at our shores and its recipe handed down through the generations.

A cluster of 42 families living in a quaint village near Buntong called Kampung Kacang Putih are probably the last custodians of this kacang putih legacy..

L. Shangkar, 42, is a third generation kacang putih manufacturer.

"Each person here is related to one another in one way or another. But we all have our own kacang putih recipes that are closely guarded secrets.

"So although all our kacang putih look the same and are packaged similarly, the taste varies according to the famliy who manufactured it," he said.

Like most of the residents at Kampung Kacang Putih, some part of Shangkar's double-storey house is where the snacks are fried, mixed, spiced, salted, dried and packed.

He has two workers to help him operate several small machines that are used in the mass production of all kinds of kacang putih.

The village's cottage industry is a thriving business despite modern and imported snacks.

Many of the families engage in wholesale as well as retail businesses.

"We distribute our snacks to grocery shops, cafeterias, supermarkets and bus terminals nationwide.

"We also export to Singapore and , and at one time even as far as Australia," said Shangkar. The village has also become a tourist destination.

"Many locals and foreigners alike arrive in bus loads to visit our cottage industry.

"They are given a guided tour of how we produce kacang putih and they almost always purchase packets after the tour," he said.

He revealed that the state government has plans to transform the village as a major tourist attraction.

"We are glad that the state recognises our trade and is helping our business to flourish.

"Hopefully, people will always love kacang putih and remember how it is made."

Read more: The village that 'kacang putih' built http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/2...#ixzz1PcGovbEj
Sponsored Links
Old 18-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Durian - The King

Uncle-Cle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Uncle-Cle

I think the link does not work.
Old 19-06-2011, 12:45 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune

Quote: