IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Online Web Forum > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Voice out your thoughts here!

Old 23-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Rambutan

KatoeyLover69 is on a distinguished road
Default Do you agree with Lee Kuan Yew that the Chinese in Malaysia has been 'marginalised' ?

Report from The Straits Times (Singapore) dated Friday 22 September 2006 :-

Najib criticises MM Lee's comments on Chinese

DEPUTY Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has described Singapore Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's recent comments that Malaysian Chinese were being systemically marginalised as naughty.

'It is a comment that we can do without. It is not appreciated at all,' the Bernama news agency quoted Datuk Seri Najib as saying.

He said the comments were inaccurate as there was no effort to marginalise the non-bumiputeras in the country, Bernama reported yesterday.

On the contrary, efforts were focused towards striking a balance between bumiputeras and non-bumiputeras to ensure the bumiputeras were not left behind as the nation developed.

'Malaysia does not practise a policy of blocking opportunities for non-bumiputeras to progress further. What we are trying to achieve is a community that is fair and equitable,' he said.

Datuk Seri Najib was commenting on reports on a dialogue for good governance that MM Lee attended in Singapore last Friday.

In response to a question, MM Lee said it was important for Singapore to have a government that was 'really firm, stout-hearted, subtle and resolute', noting that the attitude of Malaysia and Indonesia towards the Republic was shaped by the way they treated their own ethnic Chinese minorities.

Mr Lee said: 'My neighbours both have problems with their Chinese. They are successful, they're hard-working and therefore they are systematically marginalised, even in education.

'And they want Singapore, to put it simply, to be like their Chinese, compliant.'

Datuk Seri Najib said MM Lee's remarks were naughty as he had commented on the situation in neighbouring nations, adding that he did not know whether the Minister Mentor had an ulterior motive when making such comments.

Asked whether Malaysia would send a diplomatic protest note following MM Lee's remarks, Datuk Seri Najib said it was up to the Cabinet to decide.

--- KatoeyNewsNetwork
Sponsored Links
Old 23-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Rambutan

KatoeyLover69 is on a distinguished road
Default Mahathir hits out at MM Lee's comments on Chinese

Report from The Straits Times (Singapore) dated Saturday 23 September 2006 :-

Mahathir hits out at MM Lee's comments on Chinese

He says Mr Lee should look after his 'rice bowl' and not interfere with other countries

By Reme Ahmad
The Straits Times

KUALA TERENGGANU - TUN Dr Mahathir Mohamad said yesterday that Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew should just look after his 'rice bowl' and not interfere with other countries.

The former Malaysian prime minister said if Mr Lee has the right to question the affairs of Chinese Malaysians, then he wants to ask why the Singapore Government made it 'official' policy to marginalise Malay Singaporeans.

Tun Dr Mahathir was asked to respond to comments made by Mr Lee at a dialogue for good governance in Singapore last Friday.

Answering a question, Mr Lee had said that it was important for Singapore to have a government that was 'really firm, stout-hearted, subtle and resolute'', noting that the attitude of Malaysia and Indonesia towards the Republic was shaped by the way they treated their own ethnic Chinese minorities.

Mr Lee said: 'My neighbours both have problems with their Chinese. They are successful, they're hard-working and therefore they are systematically marginalised, even in education.

'And they want Singapore, to put it simply, to be like their Chinese, compliant.'

Tun Dr Mahathir retorted yesterday: 'I look at the houses in KL of the people that are 'systematically marginalised'. They have bigger houses than mine.'

The former Malaysian leader also told Mr Lee not to feel smug, noting that the Minister Mentor looked wise in his own 'tiny' country.

He said China did not think much of Mr Lee, who was also 'marginalised by Chinese in the world'.

'Don't be like that, Kuan Yew! You just look after your rice bowl, that is all. The country is tiny, don't be too proud,' Tun Dr Mahathir said in response to a written question by a member of the public who attended the function here.

Asked at a news conference why he thought Mr Lee had made the comments, Tun Dr Mahathir said: 'He feels he is strong. He is the proud type. He is not bothered with his neighbours. That is why he deliberately raised something he knew to be sensitive in our country.'

In the same vein, the former Malaysian premier said he had the right to ask about Singapore's treatment of its Malay citizens.

'We also can ask: What is the position of Malays in Singapore. Why is it they cannot be trained to carry arms in the army?

'Why is it that Malays in Malaysia are experts in the military but in Singapore they cannot hold high posts? Why are Malays officially sidelined?

'Why is it that the Malays in Singapore are marginalised to the extent that they have no status at all? This is done deliberately by Singapore. There is no other country that does it like them,' he said.

Other Malaysian politicians and a consumer group yesterday also commented on Mr Lee's remarks.

Gerakan deputy president Koh Tsu Koon, who is also Penang's Chief Minister, said the Chinese community in Malaysia was neither marginalised nor 'compliant' and had the opportunity to participate in the administration of the country.

Dr Tan Seng Giaw, deputy chairman of the opposition Democratic Action Party, told TV3: 'In a relationship between neighbours, we must avoid hurting the feelings of our neighbours.'

MCA president Ong Ka Ting said Mr Lee's statement was not only unfair, but also not good for the harmonious ties among the different races in Malaysia.

'He, as a former prime minister, should know better that such statements could have bad impact on the neighbouring country. He is someone who is over-confident. He always thinks that he is right but the statement by MM Lee is unfair to Malaysia,' Datuk Seri Ong said.

'I feel that Malaysians should not be trapped. We must remain united, we must continue to cooperate in our community. We know what we are doing and we should not let such statements cause disharmony or doubts,' he added.

The Malaysia Islamic Consumers Association (PPIM) said the statement by MM Lee had a hidden agenda aimed at tarnishing Malaysia's image.

The PPIM urged Mr Lee to retract his 'baseless statement'.

--- KatoeyNewsNetwork
Old 23-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Pineapple

midnightcowboy is off the scale

Of coz The chinese and indian in malaysia have been marginalised after 13 may 69.
It is fact.(education,employment,government servants even 5 % house purchase discount.....a lot a lot..a lot...

http://www.sinchew-i.com/commentary/index.phtml?sec=12

However Lee Kuan Yew is a foreigner,he has no right to interfere malaysia internal affair.

midnightcowboy
Old 23-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Rambutan

rakyat is an unknown quantity at this point

Who is Najib and Mahathir trying to kid. This says it all......

(1) Out of all the 5 major banks, only one bank is multi-racial, the rest are controlled by Malays
(2) 99% of Petronas directors are malays
(3) 3% of Petronas employees are Chinese
(4) 99% of 2000 Petronas gasoline stations are owned by malays
(5) 100% all contractors working under Petronas projects must be bumis status
(6) 0% of non-malays staffs is legally required in malay companies. But there must be 30% malays staffs in Chinese companies.
(7) 5% of all new intake for government police, nurses, army, is non-malays.
(8) 2% is the present Chinese staff in Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF), drop from 40% in 1960
(9) 2% is the percentage of non-malays government servants in Putrajaya. But malays make up 98%
(10) 7% is the percentage of Chinese government servants in the whole government (in 2004), drop from 30% in 1960
(11) 95% of government contracts are given to malays
(12) 100% all business licensees are controlled by malay government e.g. taxi permits, Approved permits, etc
(13) 80% of the Chinese rice millers in Kedah had to be sold to malay controlled Bernas in 1980s. Otherwise, life is make difficult for Chinese rice millers
(14) 100 big companies set up, owned and managed by Chinese Malaysians weretaken over by government, and later managed by malays since 1970s e.g. UTC, UMBC, MISC, etc
(15) At least 10 Chinese owned bus companies (throughout Malaysia, throughout 40 years) had to be sold to MARA or other malay transport companies due to rejection by malay authority to Chinese application for bus routes and rejection for their application for new buses
(16) 2 Chinese taxi drivers were barred from driving in Johor Larkin bus station. There are about 30 taxi drivers and 3 are Chinese in October 2004. Spoiling taxi club properties was the reason given
(17) 0 non-malays are allowed to get shop lots in the new Muar bus station (November 2004)
(18) 8000 billions ringgit is the total amount the government channeled to malays pockets through ASB, ASN, MARA, privatisation of government agencies, Tabung Haji etc, through NEP over 34 years period
(19) 48 Chinese primary schools closed down since 1968 - 2000
(20) 144 Indian primary schools closed down since 1968 - 2000
(21) 2637 malay primary schools built since 1968 - 2000
(22) 2.5% is government budget for Chinese primary schools. Indian schools got only 1%, malay schools got 96.5%
(23) While a Chinese parent with RM1000 salary (monthly) cannot get school-text-book-loan, a malay parent with RM2000 salary is eligible
(24) 10 all public universities vice chancellors are malays
(25) 5% - the government universities lecturers of non-malay origins had been reduced from about 70% in 1965 to only 5% in 2004
(26) Only 5% is given to non-malays for government scholarships over 40 years
(27) 0 Chinese or Indians were sent to Japanand Koreaunder "Look East Policy"
(28) 128 STPM Chinese top students could not get into the course that they aspired i.e. Medicine (in 2004)
(29) 10% place for non-bumi students for MARA science schools beginning from year 2003, but only 7% are filled. Before that it was 100% malays
(30) 50 cases whereby Chinese and Indian Malaysians, are beaten up in the National Service program in 2003
(31) 25% is Malaysian Chinese population in 2004, drop from 45% in 1957
(32) 7% is the present Malaysian Indians population (2004), a drop from 12% in 1957
(33) 2 millions Chinese Malaysians had emigrated to overseas since 40 years ago
(34) 0.5 million Indians Malaysians had emigrated to overseas
(35) 3 millions Indonesians had migrated into Malaysiaand became Malaysian citizens with bumis status.
(36) 600000 are the Chinese and Indians Malaysians with red IC and were rejected repeatedly when applying for citizenship for 40 years. Perhaps 60% of them had already passed away due to old age. This shows racism of how easily Indonesians got their citizenships compare with the Chinese and Indians
(37) 5% - 15% discount for a malay to buy a house, regardless whether the malay is rich or poor
(38) 2% is what Chinese new villages get compare with 98% of what malays villages got for rural development budget
(39) 50 road names (at least) had been change from Chinese names to other names
(40) 1 Dewan Gan Boon Leong (in Malacca) was altered to other name (e.g.Dewan Serbaguna or sort) when it was being officially used for a few days. Government try to shun Chinese names. This racism happened in around year 2000 or sort
(41) 0 temples/churches were built for each housing estate. But every housing estate got at least one mosque/surau built
(42) 3000 mosques/surau were built in all housing estates throughout Malaysiasince 1970. No temples, no churches are required to be built in housing estates
(43) 1 Catholic church in Shah Alam took 20 years to apply to be constructed. But told by malay authority that it must look like a
factory and not look like a church. Still not yet approved in 2004
(44) 1 publishing of Bible in Iban language banned (in 2002)
(45) 0 of the government TV stations (RTM1, RTM2, TV3) are directors of non-malays origin
(46) 30 government produced TV dramas and films always showed that the bad guys had Chinese face, and the good guys had malay face. You can check it out since 1970s. Recent years, this tendency becomes less
(47) 10 times, at least, malays (especially Umno) had threatened to massacre the Chinese Malaysians using May 13 since 1969
(48) 20 constituencies won by DAP would not get funds from the government to develop. Or these Chinese majority constituencies would be the last to bedeveloped
(49) 100 constituencies (parliaments and states) had been racistly re-delineated so Chinese voters were diluted that Chinese candidates, particularly DAP candidates lost in election since 1970s
(50) Only 3 out of 12 human rights items are ratified by Malaysia government since 1960
(51) 0 elimination of, all forms of racial discrimination (UN Human Rights) is not ratified by Malaysiagovernment since 1960s
(52) 20 reported cases whereby malay ambulance attendance treated Chinese patients inhumanely, and malay government hospital staffs purposely delay attending to Chinese patients in 2003. Unreported cases may be 200
(53) 50 cases each year whereby Chinese, especially Chinese youths being beaten up by malay youths in public places. We may check at police reports provided the police took the report, otherwise there will be no record
(54) 20 cases every year whereby Chinese drivers who accidentally knocked down malays were seriously assaulted or killed by malays
(55) 12% is what ASB/ASN got per annum while banks fixed deposit is only about 3.5% per annum

男人不 坏 女人不爱

Old 24-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Watermelon

Gemukkk is an unknown quantity at this point

is lky kidding? and what of the malays in singapore? how come they are treated worse?

out of 55 reasons, i see a few concerns. others, to me, are merely window-dressing. our government had explained it at one time or another. some are even logical in nature.

marginalised? and yet which race prospers the most? controls the economy? enjoying good employment (oh, even though not educated or experienced enough to qualify for the post? anyone remember my previous narrated experience)? becomes the target consumers for many products? wow, is there such a thing as 'economic marginalisation'?
where does the malays and indians fit in? oh, i forgot, we dont fit in because we dont know mandarin. and mandarin is needed for dealing with goverment agencies, legal documentation, buying food, etc.

no lah.. we shouldnt admit it, right. that would be losing face. better to point the finger at others.

and now i wait for another to say that i, as a malay, am pointing the finger to others. i am sure there will be proof that there is no economic marginalisation.

i always practice 'bersangka baik'. think good of others. but i think this thread and a few are instead trying to make me be a racist.
Old 24-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Guava

Mango is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemukkk
is lky kidding? and what of the malays in singapore? how come they are treated worse?

Do enlighten on the ways the Malays are being treated in Singapore. Last I checked, LKY and son has sued and bankrupted many, no Malays come to mind though. And assume in fact the Malays in Singapore are being mistreated, so it is OK to "retaliate" by discriminating the Chinese in Malaysia? I hope that's not your moral beliefs.

Quote:
out of 55 reasons, i see a few concerns. others, to me, are merely window-dressing. our government had explained it at one time or another. some are even logical in nature.

What are your concerns from the list? Our government, or a spokeperson of it at least, also claimed that Malaysia was so safe he had no problem walking around KL at 4am. That is the government we have, which has a habit of "explaining" away a lot of problems, don't you think?

Quote:
marginalised? and yet which race prospers the most? controls the economy? enjoying good employment (oh, even though not educated or experienced enough to qualify for the post? anyone remember my previous narrated experience)? becomes the target consumers for many products? wow, is there such a thing as 'economic marginalisation'?
where does the malays and indians fit in? oh, i forgot, we dont fit in because we dont know mandarin. and mandarin is needed for dealing with goverment agencies, legal documentation, buying food, etc.

I see resentment and jealousy and sarcasm in what you write, but where are your statistics and facts? Why in a political environment where millions and billions are doled out in a secrecy and not-so secrecy, you see "race" instead as the problem? Instead of addressing of what's been raised, all you seem to react to is this "race".

Can you explain why your so-called experience of those un-qualified and un-educated getting good employment makes any economic sense? If those companies are so dumb to hire unqualified people for the important positions, why do you think the competition hasn't smother them with their mistake? Private companies don't have the luxury like the big G who can afford to hire all these people.

Quote:
and now i wait for another to say that i, as a malay, am pointing the finger to others. i am sure there will be proof that there is no economic marginalisation.

This is where you get pathetic, preempt others by, yes pointing fingers. You are the one who make a claim, and it's incumbent on you to back up your own claim. Don't throw out some wild imagination and asking others to prove it.

Quote:
i always practice 'bersangka baik'. think good of others. but i think this thread and a few are instead trying to make me be a racist.

We don't know what you practice, but no one else can make you a racist. Only you can do that to yourself.
Old 24-09-2006, 03:27 AM
Hollow-ed...
Strawberry

lobak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatoeyLover69
Report from The Straits Times (Singapore) dated Saturday 23 September 2006 :-

'We also can ask: What is the position of Malays in Singapore. Why is it they cannot be trained to carry arms in the army?

--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

Is this true or just one of TM many unsubstantiated claims? Can some of the forummers living across the causeway shed some light?
Old 24-09-2006, 04:55 AM
The Kung Fu Tupai
Durian - The King

Chinerama is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatoeyLover69
Gerakan deputy president Koh Tsu Koon, who is also Penang's Chief Minister, said the Chinese community in Malaysia was neither marginalised nor 'compliant' and had the opportunity to participate in the administration of the country.

Yeah, right. That is as long as you don't mind getting, as Sean affectionately put it, bitch slapped when the participants bring up a GENUINE corruption or incompetent incident regarding the funds meant for some schools and then the incident is blanketed and everything is fine and dandy again as long as the participant knows when to shut up from now on!!!

The above does prove that no one is marginalised and compliant and has the opportunity to participate in the administration of the country......... NOT!!!
Old 24-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Honeydew

wifiabc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemukkk
enjoying good employment (oh, even though not educated or experienced enough to qualify for the post?

Are you sure you are not referring to the government's hiring and promotion policies? Look at all those unqualified people working in the Universities, Hospitals, Govt ministries/depts, GLCs and those heading them.

As for the Malays in Singapore, obviously you have not been to Singapore. You do have a habit of making insinuations without facts to back it up.

Last edited by wifiabc : 24-09-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 24-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Durian - The King

kris is an unknown quantity at this point

It's interesting to note that Najib used the world 'naughty' on LKY's comments, which sort of implies they are not untrue.

Yeah, LKY was wrong, the Bolehland government does not marginalise the Chinese. The Bolehland government positively discriminates against them. We don't have to look far, just look at the recent episodes which OTK(MCA) and KSK (Gerakan) went through. Now, the latter has even joined the chorus to refute what LKY said abt marginalisation of the Chinese. *sigh*

Some flashbacks...

United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) Youth Chief Hishamuddin Hussein brandishing the keris (Malay dagger) in defense of ketuanan Melayu.

At a political rally, future Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak threatened to bathe a keris with Chinese blood.

After Abdullah Ahmad Badawi succeeded Mahathir as Prime Minister, ketuanan Melayu was introduced into the national secondary school curriculum

Lee Kuan Yew, the leader of the Singaporean government, publicly opposed ketuanan Melayu, and propagated his idea of a "Malaysian Malaysia".

After 50 years of independence and a few generations after their forefathers landed in Malaya, the Chinese in Bolehland are still being called 'pendatang asing' (newcomers).

'Kalau awak ta' suka, keluarlah dari Malaysia' - the remark didn't come from any Ah Chong, Ahmad or Muthu but from a politician.
(Now hop hop, how does this compare to what you encountered in Aussie? )

Last edited by kris : 24-09-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links