IPOH.com.my Photo Gallery BIZ Net My Classifieds Property Maps Car Mart Hotjobs2u.com

Google
Web ipoh.com.my

Hot JobsMy ClassifiedsBidValley AuctionsIpoh DatingAutomobileIT NewsPerak WatchReal Estate
Go Back   Ipoh Community Forums > Ipoh Food Court > Chinese Cuisine
User Name
Password
FAQ Googlemap ME Vb Music Members List Calendar vBRadio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 PM
...my eyes are watching!!
Durian - The King

hop hop is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to hop hop
Default Best Won Ton Meen in Ipoh

Which is the best wonton meen in Ipoh?

The size of the wonton seems to have shrunk. Sometimes you get only the skin with a sprinkle of meat. There must places where they still sell huge juicy, meaty wonton with 'real' prawns. And the noodles, crunchy with a bite, the 'al dente' of meen. Not the soft and soggy kind.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Banana

Too Many IDs is on a distinguished road

Wonton meen, my favarite! I oso dun kno la!! Can tell or not?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:55 AM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune

I know of one, if you walk from Maybank towards the Hsbc building, on the left hand side, there is a good one ton mee there.

Do not know the road name. The one ton is specially good.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Durian - The King

rockhard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortune
I know of one, if you walk from Maybank towards the Hsbc building, on the left hand side, there is a good one ton mee there.
Is that near Ipoh Padang?
Old 11-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Durian - The King

Uncle-Cle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Uncle-Cle

Aiya, order 2 serves lah, then u will remember to come back to Ipoh for cari cari makan
Old 11-01-2009, 03:49 PM
fortune
Durian - The King

fortune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhard
Is that near Ipoh Padang?

Ya, near the padang n the May bank is near to the river bank. Operated by an elderly gentleman.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Banana

Corn24 is on a distinguished road

menglembu wanton mee is good.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Don't Eat
Durian - The King

HOPI girl is on a distinguished road

There is one quite decent wan ton mee shop just right opposite of Lou Wong Nga Choy Kai.

One coffeeshop , a few shops away from Chan Chee Keong Travel (near Central Market) is quite good with its wan ton. The noodle is so-so but the wan ton skin texture is thin & smooth & the soup is delicious.

Has anyone ate the hawker wan too mee near the old Soon Yik Goldsmith shop at Hugh Low street before? Used to eat them a lot when I was kid . Like what has been described by HH, the noodles were very crunchy (song chui) .

There used to be one good one near the old Ruby Cinema (Anderson Road) & just a few shops away from Yobu /Nobu??? novel shop. But since the old lady died, the business went together with her. Her "kai see" (shreaded chicken) wan ton mee was exceptionally good .

I think the one that recommended by Fortune is the one that located just a few shops away from CIMB Bank (old town). Had it for the very first time about a month ago but seriously it was just so-so for me. No offence to everyone but I guess I'm rather choosy with food.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Durian - The King

kanden is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPI girl
There used to be one good one near the old Ruby Cinema (Anderson Road) & just a few shops away from Yobu /Nobu??? novel shop. But since the old lady died, the business went together with her. Her "kai see" (shreaded chicken) wan ton mee was exceptionally good .

yeah, she made v good "sui gao"(dumplings). her disciple used to sell at Restoran Supreme at Fair Park. But they got evicted a few years back by the landlord, shifted around n now they've finally called it quits sometime back last year. no more excellent "sui gao" for me. anyone know of any excellent "sui gao" stalls?
oh, i tot her "ngap tui meen" (duck drumstick noodle soup) was the best (followed by her disciple).

anyway, other wan ton mee stalls i like:
1) the one at stadium. Ming Chee but it's in the middle lot n sells from morning till abt 4pm. v expensive(rm2.80 i think) cos the serving is v small. their noodles r homemade, cooked just nice so that it's springy. one thing tho, the std in Ipoh is 5 wan tons whereas in KL they dun give more than 3
2) the one at Jln Pasir Puteh a few shops away from the Keadilan office. Open in the afternoons.
3) menglembu wanton at night at menglembu (old town) "wai sik kai" (hawker street). at rm2, i thk it's cheapest in ipoh. homemade noodles done just exactly nice too.
4) there's one at menglembu old town that sells in the morning too. coming from the ipoh-lumut highway it's on ur right after the junction that goes to the "wai sik kai" (hawker street). they give gravy w pork strips n good char siew.
5) or the one at Buntong that operates at night. again homemade noodles except that they add gravy w pork strips. be prepared to wait if u go later than 7pm.
5) or u can go to Pusing to that famous restaurant ... sorry can't recall name but u can ask the locals there. they make their own wanton noodles. their "sang har mee" (big prawn noodles), "ngap tui meen" (duck drumstick noodle) use the same homemade wanton noodles. of cos they r famous for other stuff like braised duck w ginger dish. actually an old style chinese restaurant la

6) for big prawn wantons, go to Bercham at night, just opp Public Bank. this stall supposedly "famous" for their "Shine" noodles is not that good when it comes to the noodles (even tho it's supposedly handmade using duck eggs n has made many newspaper n even tv promotions). i'd advise u to order soup cos they can't do dry noodles for fish but their wanton sure is big.

- from the Dhammapada (Sayings of the Buddha)
Old 12-01-2009, 04:04 PM
...my eyes are watching!!
Durian - The King

hop hop is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to hop hop

Menglembu's Wonton meen has been famous since I was a kid. I am glad they are still around.