View Single Post
Old 13-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Rambutan

KatoeyLover69 is on a distinguished road
Default Come here for the best coffee in Teluk Intan

Report from The New Straits Times dated Monday 13 August 2007:-

Come here for the best coffee in Teluk Intan

Among the specialities at Kedai Kopi Keng Heng in Jalan Raja, Teluk Intan, is its brewed coffee.

When in Teluk Intan, forget about cappuccino, mocha, espresso or any other type of coffee. As far as most coffee drinkers here are concerned, there is only one type worth drinking, writes P. CHANDRA SAGARAN.
KEDAI Kopi Keng Heng’s speciality, as its name suggests, is its strongly brewed homemade coffee.

Its reputation for the best coffee around has kept the shop going since it opened its doors in Jalan Raja, Teluk Intan, in 1929.

Owner Tham Shean Ming, 56, has been running the coffee shop located in the heart of the town with his wife for 22 years. It was passed down to him when his uncle died.

"My family’s coffee has been around for years. Ask anyone here and they will tell you ‘Kopi Keng Heng bagus’ (Keng Heng coffee is great)," he said.
And looking at the crowd of patrons sipping their hot coffee while reading the papers, it is obvious that business has not slowed down.

Tastefully decorated with a few pictures of the old and new Teluk Intan town on the walls, the Keng Heng coffee shop is the place to come for a cuppa. It can accommodate close to 60 people.

The coffee shop is open daily from 6am to 11pm.

Tham, who manages the till, also waits on customers with his wife and four workers.

The aroma of ground coffee is so strong that it hits you when a cup is placed in front of you.

The secret? "A family recipe. We all have been sworn to secrecy," he said, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

"Try a cup and you will want to come back for more. Sometimes my customers would order more than two cups while having their morning drink.

"When I ask them why they like my coffee, they say it is different and tastes better than the coffee sold in other shops."

Tham and his 50-year-old wife, Oo Yew Ah Nooi, have four girls and a boy aged between 16 and 19, three of whom are schooling.

The eldest helps out in the shop. The family lives in the back portion of the two-storey shophouse.

"Our family has been staying here for many years. Years ago, there were many of us — my grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins.

"This business was started by our great-great grandfather. Today, there are only seven of us as the others have moved out, but they come here often to help out."

Besides selling ready-made coffee, Tham also sells the finely grounded coffee beans in packets of one kilogramme for RM12.70 each with the Keng Heng brand.

There are six food stall operators at the coffee shop selling nasi lemak, nasi campur, noodles, cakes and sweetmeats.

A place to catch up with friends

CUSTOMERS who walk into Kedai Kopi Keng Heng always leave the shop with a satisfied look on their faces.

Many regulars drop in for a cup of coffee or two before they start work. They swear by it, saying the coffee gives them a lift.

Philip Han Yeong Wom, 59, is one of them. Han, the managing director of an outlet selling cars, said Keng Heng’s coffee was the best in Teluk Intan.

"It has a special taste and the aroma just wakes you up."

A normal cup of coffee costs RM1.10 but if served in a large mug, it is priced at RM1.80.

Another regular, Lau Yat Fah, 71, said he had been coming to Keng Heng for many years.

Lau, a pensioner, said the shop was the right place to meet up with old mates every evening and catch up on the latest gossip.

"The good old Keng Heng coffee is about the only brand that is known here, especially among us old people," he said while having coffee with some of his friends.

Lau said Kedai Kopi Keng Heng was one place where a discerning coffee drinker could taste real coffee.

"They have so many attractive sounding names for coffee today, but for my friends and I, there is nothing like Keng Heng coffee."

--- KatoeyNewsNetwork

Link :- http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/N...cle/index_html